10 Great Things About Working the Hotel Front Desk
Being a Front Desk Agent requires a variety of skills. Of course, you must be friendly and warm when greeting guests, be a good problem-solver and an excellent listener/communicator. You’ll be handling the check-ins, the phones and working with other departments to ensure the best possible experience for the customer.
It’s a busy job and can be taxing, but it also has its perks:
1. Front Desk skills are transferable to a wide array of jobs in hospitality as well as business. You’re gaining experience working with customers and thinking on your feet.
2. You’ll meet a lot of interesting people from all over the world. It expands your understanding of other cultures and opens you up to new experiences.
3. Your organizational skills will get a boost when you’re multi-tasking every day: answering phones, greeting guests, answering questions, etc.
4. Problem solving will become second nature. In hospitality, every day is different and you’ll flex your creative skills in finding new ways to meet challenges and make someone’s day.
5. You’ll learn some sales skills. While you’re not responsible for making a quota, you will be able to promote certain hotel services, encourage your guests to eat at the hotel restaurant(s), upgrade their accommodations, etc.
6. Become part of a team. Working with others at the front desk or in other departments requires teamwork: an ability to get along with others and work with a variety of people. That’s a skill that works in any environment as you move through your career.
7. Front Desk Agents are often promoted quickly, if they shine at the job. There’s a lot of opportunity for advancement. If you can show you have the ability to work with people and solve problems, you’ll move up.
8. It’s satisfying to greet people at the beginning of their trip and help them get their vacation off to a great start. They turn to you for advice and are grateful for the assistance. Be a hero and show them the best time ever.
9. The fringe benefits are great. You may get a free meal on each shift at a wonderful restaurant where others pay big bucks and you get discounts on rooms wherever you go.
10. Opportunities to travel at a discount are available. Take advantage of the tourism deals and see the world, meet new people and expand your horizons.