"A social organization to promote the pleasure, kind feeling and general culture of its members."
This is Atlanta's Capital City Club, as described in the charter granted on May 21, 1883.
There were sixty-two social and business leaders of the booming little city of Atlanta who organized the Club on April 16, 1883, and petitioned for their charter the following day.
The first clubhouse was at 43 Walton Street; in August 1884, the Club moved into a new building at 114 Peachtree Street - The site of the old Macy's downtown store. The present downtown club building was dedicated on December 16, 1911.
The Country Club was leased in 1913 and purchased in 1915. At that time the golf course was increased from nine to eighteen holes. The present spacious Country Club building was erected in 1928. In 1916 the Country Club was selected as the site for the first Georgia State Amateur Championship. The winner of that inaugural event was Atlanta's Bobby Jones. In 1945, Capital City hosted the Atlanta Open, a P.G.A. Tour event. Byron Nelson claimed that title, in what was to become the fourth of his eleven straight Tour victories. In 1947 and 1953, The Women's Western Amateur Championship was played at the Country Club with Hall of Fame Member Louise Suggs claiming both titles. Louise, an Honorary Member of Capital City Club, defeated Dorothy Kirby, another Honorary Member in the 1947 finals.
Traditionally the center of Atlanta's social activity, the Capital City Club has likewise been the most popular gathering place for the city's leading business and professional men and women. Here visiting notables - including three presidents of the United States - from other parts of the nation and the world have been entertained in an atmosphere of southern hospitality.
In 1996, both the City Club and the Country Club attracted a multitude of international visitors during the Olympics. In 1997, the City Club was named a Platinum Club, placing it #6 out of the top ten city clubs in the nation.
From its inception the Capital City Club has sought to bespeak the best of Atlanta and the South. For over one hundred years it has been successful in this noble endeavor, and has been a credit to Atlanta and the South.
The 600-acre Crabapple Golf Course land was purchased in 1999. The golf course was completed in October of 2001 and opened for play on June 1, 2002. The clubhouse was completed in the fall of 2002. The Crabapple property hosted the American Express World Golf Championship in 2003. This ensures that Capital City Club will uphold its tradition of being the premier club in Atlanta and the South.
MISSION STATEMENT: Exceeding expectations with signature services.