Title: Resort General Manager
Reports To: Executive Vice President, Operations
Company and Opportunity
Our company is a family owned, U.S. based company with more than 40 years of experience owning and operating award-winning Caribbean resorts. This position represents the opportunity to lead our newest resort property in a beautiful British Overseas Territory in the Caribbean. This stunning resort has approximately 100 units with 150 guest bedrooms situated on approximately 10 acres with over 800’ of pristine white sand Caribbean beach. Guests come to spoil themselves with a quintessential remote Caribbean experience that begins at an amazing resort property with luxury accommodations, gourmet meals, relaxing spa services and all the while providing guests with unparalleled access to an amazing marine eco-system through an award-winning eco-friendly watersports operation.
The Resort General Manager is the strategic business leader of resort operations and is responsible for the day-to-day operation, oversight and management of the resort. The General Manager ensures that daily operations at the resort deliver the highest degree of guest satisfaction possible while always striving to exceed guest expectations. As the team leader, the General Manager sees the development and growth of the team as key and most critical to the success of our mission on growing revenues and maximizes financial performance. Key areas of focus and responsibility include administration and management of Human Resources, Food and Beverage Outlets, Front Office/Guest Services Centers, Engineering/Maintenance, Spa/Fitness Centers, Housekeeping Departments, Security/Loss Prevention Systems and maintaining a collaborative and successful team partnership with Management of the Watersports operation. The General Manager must ensure compliance with all governmental laws and regulations relating to the operation of the business such as the Labour and Immigration Laws. In ongoing collaboration with the company’s executive leadership, you will assist in the development of strategies that deliver products and services to meet and exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer as well as our employees and team members. The General Manager works hand in hand with department leaders to develop and implement the operations strategy that will ensure the company’s strategies and brand initiatives are implemented.
Managing Profitability and Departmental Budgets
· Keeps operational teams focused on the critical components of daily operations to drive guest satisfaction with respect to the goal of achieving desired financial results.
- Ensures that all operational areas at the resort provide an atmosphere that is conducive to a superior guest experience.
- Coaches and trains direct reports to regularly meet staffing cost targets and proactively addresses problem areas and holds team accountable for results.
- Partners with direct reports to examine and determine areas of concern and then establishes ways to improve the departments financial performance.
- Strives to maintain profit margins without compromising guest satisfaction or team morale.
- Identifies and analyzes operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to improve systems and prevent reoccurrences.
- Coaches, trains, and supports operations team to effectively manage variances in resort occupancy levels, including the management of compensation and all other controllable expenses.
- Reviews financial performance of the business and compares budgeted to actual performance.
Managing Property Operations
· Always maintains safe guest environment at facility through regular audits and inspections of resort facilities. Ensures guest and team member safety is the highest priority and that any incidents are reported appropriately.
· Maintains hands-on grasp of the daily performance of Resort operations by regularly working with team members and auditing services consistently to ensure Company benchmarks and standards are met.
· Proactively engages and interacts with guests to obtain guest feedback and input and business performance which may assist in identifying operational opportunities for improvement.
· Maintains close collaboration with watersports Management and team members to ensure a complete and cohesive guest experience.
- Strives to improve and optimize service performance across all revenue centers.
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding operational goals to produce desired results on a continual basis.
- Ensures core elements of the service strategy are in place to produce the desired results.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
· Observes and guides service behaviors of associates and provides feedback to individuals and leaders.
· Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably.
- Champions the service vision for the operations team and ensures alignment among all of the resort’s leadership and front-line team members.
- Hires operations management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity, and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Ensures compliance with all local Laws, Regulations and Requirements including Labour and Immigration Laws. Ensures that all government related permit and licensing applications are processed accurately and timely.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports that help to reinforce achievements and address opportunities for improvement and development.
- Utilizes an “open door” policy to address team member concerns.
- Fosters team commitment to providing service excellence, participating in daily department meetings and company formats to reinforce desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and associates.
- Drives positive and rewarding employment experience for team members which or exceeds employee satisfaction benchmarks.
- Takes a genuine interest in learning about the local community and local cultural history.
- Understands underlying importance of living and working in a quaint community and is able to communicate the importance of this to all team members as they represent the Company in the community.
- Makes all attempts to recruit, employ and develop members from the local community.
- Ensures that efforts are made to participate and support the local community, businesses and organizations whenever reasonable to do so.
- Report any community issues or matters which may impact the business.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related field preferred
- 6+ years’ progressive experience in hotel operations and management
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibiting behavioral styles that align with the company’s core values and convey confidence and command respect from others.
- Communication - Conveying information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Adaptability - Maintaining performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathering information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others that prioritizes efforts to accomplish large and time sensitive goals first.
- Driving for Results - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others, assuming responsibility for work objectives and proactively taking action to accomplish goals.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leading and participating as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Customer Relationships - Developing and sustaining relationships based on achieving the best guest experience possible for each guest through an understanding of customer needs and proactive service actions.
- Fostering Inclusion - Supporting associates with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; leveraging personal differences to achieve objectives; and promoting a work environment where all associates are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Talent Management – Provide ongoing training, guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific challenges.
- Detail Orientation - The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of details in work activities. This includes focusing on the small details of work activities and taking the necessary time to ensure that all the details of completed work are correct and of high quality.
- Business Acumen - Understanding and utilizing business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Computer Skills – Able to use basic computer hardware and software, including Microsoft’s Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as various Property Management Software (PMS) Platforms, Point of Sale (POS) systems and other hotel operating systems.