In less than 2 minutes, get your
Personal Score for every job
Mohonk Mountain House seeks a Director of Food & Beverage to oversee all food and beverage operations throughout the resort. This is an exciting time to join the leadership team at this iconic property, as the Mountain House has recently undergone an extensive, multi-million dollar kitchen renovation.
The Director of Food and Beverage will manage a team of over 250, including more than 20 salaried leaders throughout the dining and kitchen staff. The ideal candidate will be an inspirational, positive thought-leader with a talent for training and developing others, a strong knowledge of hotel and food industry trends, and a passion for inventive and creative programming for leisure guests as well as weddings, social groups, and meetings. At least 5 years of experience as a Director of Food & Beverage with a background in luxury/upscale resort hotels, creative culinary, and banqueting is required. An understanding of Full American plan operational structure is preferred.
ABOUT MOHONK’S CULINARY AND DINING PROGRAMS The Mohonk Mountain House culinary program was profiled in 2017 by The New York Times for its commitment to featuring ingredients from the local area and throughout New York State farms. The Mountain House features two fully equipped kitchen levels and numerous dining venues: the large historic Main Dining Room, mid-size dining rooms, the Granary (a summer outdoor barbecue), the seasonal outdoor Spirits on the Sunset Porch, and the Carriage Lounge for cocktails and light fare. Catered private dining and events are also available our patrons. Facilities include varied conference rooms and combined banquet space to accommodate groups approaching 400 participants.
ABOUT THE RESORT Mohonk Mountain House is a National Historic Landmark resort and Historic Hotel of America located in New York’s Hudson Valley, just 90 miles north of New York City. Featuring 265 guestrooms and suites, countless leisure activities and wellness programs, and inclusive farm-to-table dining, Mohonk Mountain House has been a sought-after destination for generations. Mohonk welcomes applicants with a positive attitude, a desire to learn and grow, and a wish to use their skills and knowledge to provide legendary customer service. Employees have access to the trails, golf course and tennis courts, boating, lake swimming, and more. Mohonk Mountain House has been owned and operated by the Smiley family for five generations. When you join our team, you become part of the Mohonk family.
For more information on the property, please visit:
What will I be doing? As a Director of the Food and Beverage division and a member of the resort’s Executive Group, you will direct and organize the activities of the Food & Beverage departments to maintain the high standards of quality, service and marketing to maximize profits through outstanding customer service.
• Plan and direct the functions of administration and planning of the Food & Beverage department to meet the daily needs of the operation, as well as the strategic long-term goals.
• Implement effective controls of food, beverage and labor costs.
• Ensure compliance with health, safety, sanitation and alcoholic beverage awareness standards.
• Help ensure high standards of food and beverage quality, service and marketing to maximize profits and ensure outstanding customer service.
• Interview, train, supervise, counsel, schedule and evaluate direct reporting staff and similarly provide guidance and support of your management team.
What are we looking for? Since 1869, Mohonk Mountain House has been a leader in the Hudson Valley NY hospitality industry. Today, we remain an iconic historic hotel leader of innovation, quality, and success. This continued leadership is the result of our timeless dedication to the comfort and contentment of guests in our beautiful, natural setting. We look for a proven leader to carry forth the tradition.
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
• Collaborative Leadership
• Results Driven Business Acumen
• Productivity • Dependability
• Customer Focus
• Adaptability • Confidentiality
• Change Leadership P
lease visit www.mohonk.com to learn more about Mohonk Mountain House and www.mohonk.com/careers to apply for the position.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the resort General Manager, this role will provide strategic leadership, guidance and direction on food & beverage concepts and operational decisions for all venues, banquet/catering, conference services and culinary operations in order to create extraordinary moments for our guests. The position ensures the food & beverage/culinary operation exceeds guests’ expectations, ensures associate engagement, and focuses on growing revenues and maximizing the financial performance of the department. Develops and implements resort-wide strategies that deliver products and services to exceed the needs and expectations of the guests and associates while providing a strong return on investment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategic Expertise and Coordination
• Develops a food and beverage operating strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution. Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food and beverage products to exceed guest expectations, generate increased revenue and ensure a competitive position in the market.
• Oversees updates and enhancements to maintain accurate information online and onsite across all communication platforms.
• Analyzes division performance to contribute to marketing intelligence.
• Represents the division and participates in events and projects.
• Promotes high visibility of resort. Participates in public relations, and recruiting efforts as needed. Coordinates dining and ensures hosting of relevant media who visit onsite.
• Oversees development of the annual Food and Beverage division Operating Plan and conducts competitive analysis, as needed.
• Develops partnership opportunities to support division efforts.
• Maintains membership in professional organizations.
• Actively supports and behaves in accordance with Mohonk Mountain House’s mission and service statements.
• Uses good judgment in assessing cost/benefit of food and beverage opportunities.
• Applies strong analytic skills to all aspects of job.
• Travels and experiences relevant competitors and attends Executive retreats up to 5% of the year.
• Analyzes problems, develops solutions, and implements action plans to address problems.
Creativity, Collaboration and Communication
• Ensures that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and beverage.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire food & beverage team.
• Attends, prepares and provides background and summary presentation as requested to the Board of Directors at regularly scheduled meetings (a minimum of 3 times per year).
• Develops, writes, and implements integrated operating plans for each revenue department to meet and exceed goals.
• Partners with sales, theme programs, spa, entertainment and events teams to brainstorm for future events that support brand and goals for holistic guest experiences.
• Works closely with colleagues throughout the resort to ensure smooth operations regarding food and beverage.
• Collaborates with company Directors as needed, to support overall property and to support sales goals.
• Works closely with Marketing to ensure all division materials conform to Mohonk Mountain House’s standards, policies and procedures; supports and maintains appropriate image and presentation in all efforts.
• Effectively interacts with colleagues and external agencies with professionalism and integrity.
• Respond to customer trends, needs, issues, comments and problems to ensure a quality experience and to enhance future sales.
• Writes well, producing clear, concise, and compelling reports.
• Thinks creatively.
Competency and Analysis
• Establishes and analyzes key metrics for ROI.
• Factors overall ROI to the company’s bottom line when making decisions that impact other areas of the business.
• Conducts and participates with Director of Marketing in research to understand guests’ needs and preferences.
• Develops, maintains and implements Food and Beverage division budgeting and reforecasting. Effectively controls expenses. Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or associate experience.
• Oversees agencies/vendors to achieve excellence in meeting revenue objectives.
• Work quickly and independently exhibiting good judgment in situations of ambiguity.
• Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
• Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
• Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
• Lift up to 20 pounds from ground level to counter level and carry a distance of up to 25 feet with/without assistance. Walk up to 5 miles per day.
• See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Identify and differentiate between variations and shades of color.
• Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
• Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and current information about Mohonk Mountain House.
• Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
Administration and Management
• Oversees Food and Beverage division to support all efforts and to achieve implementation of efforts on time and on budget.
• Maintains organized and detail-oriented timelines and files for all food and beverage efforts.
• Handles multiple tasks and brings projects to completion in a timely manner.
• Effectively supervises direct management reports, contributing actively in a positive manner to goals and activities of entire division.
• Oversee that the division operates within New York State and Federal Laws, rules, and guidelines including, but not limited to, the New York State Department of Health, New York State Department of Labor, New York State Liquor Authority, Ulster County Department of Health, O.S.H.A., and others.
• Ensure that required operating licenses and permits are displayed as required by law. As a designee of the property license, an in depth understanding of New York State Liquor Authority as pertaining to our property will be expected.
• Establish and maintain effective employee relations.
• Liaise with Human Resources for oversight of entire division in all employee matters including compensation structure, interviewing and hiring, orientation, appraisals, coaching, and dismissal if necessary to ensure appropriate staffing and productivity.
• Identify training needs and ensure the development and delivery of the required training for departmental employees.
• Presents a neat well-groomed appearance.
• Represents Mohonk Mountain House in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate expertise with Windows-based operating systems and software including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint. Development of understanding and competency of various POS, sales and order management systems used in division management and interface with hotel PMS will be expected.
• Work in office setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises. Remote work may also be required and expected at times.
• Work extended periods of time inspecting various dining venues, conference rooms and outdoor spaces.
• Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
• Demonstrate organizational skills, proofreading skills, and produce well-written, error-free reporting.
• Prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
• Participate in company Manager on Duty or “on-call” assignments and as needed once established in the organization.
• Valid Driver’s License with at least 2 years of fully licensed driving experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in culinary arts, hospitality, business, communications, or relevant field is required. MBA or relevant advanced degree preferred.
• At least 5 years of experience as a Director of Food & Beverage or equivalent responsibility level with a background in luxury/upscale resort hotels, creative culinary and banquets is required. An understanding of Full American plan operational structure is preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
|Address||1000 Mountain Rest Road, New Paltz, NY, 12561 View map|