Join the innovative, highly awarded and benchmark setting team at The Buffalo Club. The club is ranked in the top 5% of private clubs in the US and is a Platinum Club of America and Platinum Club of the World. Join likeminded leaders coming from other top rated clubs, Forbes Five Star hotels and Michelin Starred restaurants as we execute a forward thinking food and beverage program. The city of Buffalo is currently going through a downtown renaissance with development, lifestyle activities, a vibrant dining scene, low cost of living and close proximity to Toronto and The Fingerlakes.
Department: Food and Beverage
Reports To: Director of Food and Beverage
Supervises: Restaurant Captains, Restaurant Servers, Restaurant Bartenders, Host/Hostess, Banquet Servers, Food Runners
- Four years minimum experience of management in F&B a la carte operations, banquets/catering and member events.
- Must demonstrate appropriate analytical skills, attention to detail, organizational and project management skills.
- Plans for the department’s long-range staffing needs and assists in recruitment, training, supervision, and termination of staff.
- Completes weekly staffing and scheduling plans.
- Monitors weekly, monthly, and annual labor costs; evaluates scheduled and actual labor hours and costs.
- Plans effective orientation and training for new staff and professional development activities for experienced staff are planned and implemented.
- Ensures all legal requirements are consistently followed, including wage/ hour and federal, state or local laws for food safety and the sale/consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Addresses member and guest complaints and advises the Food and Beverage Director about appropriate corrective actions taken.
- Functions as an administrative link between departments.
- Assists Food and Beverage Director with monitoring internal cost control procedures.
- Assists Food and Beverage Director with developing and implementing long-range (strategic) and annual (business) plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Assists Food and Beverage Director to monitor safety conditions and employees’ conformance with safety procedures; updates emergency plans and procedures and assures that effective training for these programs is conducted in all departments.
- Maintains contact with members and help to assure maximum member satisfaction.
- Receives and resolves complaints from club members, guests and employees.
- Participates in ongoing facility inspections throughout the club to assure that cleanliness, maintenance, safety and other standards are consistently attained.
- May serve as a departmental manager in the Food and Beverage Director’s absence.
- Attends and participates management and staff meetings as scheduled.
- Interacts with members answering questions, solving problems, overseeing services and cleanliness and showing the club facilities to visitors.
- Serves as a club representative within the community.
- Counsels with other managers and employees about employee grievances and complaints; directs problem correction where possible.
- Research new products and develops an analysis of their costs and benefits.
- Oversees daily club operations, including a la carte and daily events
- Completes daily packet of events
- Reviews all accidents and works with HR in completing accident reports.
- Ensures that all legal requirements are consistently followed.
- Monitors employee dress codes and member dress codes as applicable. Oversees, orders, and maintains inventory of uniforms for all Food and Beverage staff.
- Conducts daily line ups before service with Food and Beverage staff.
F&B Specific Requirements
- Oversee the FOH F&B operation to include Restaurants, Bars, Banquets, Catering and Member Events to world class levels
- Develops best in class dining and training programs for the F&B division, experience in executing fine dining restaurant service is required
- Helps plan and approves external and internal marketing and sales promotion activities for the department’s outlets and special club events with the Communications Coordinator.
- Greets members and oversees actual service on a daily basis.
- Serves as manager-on-duty on a scheduled basis.
- Train and monitor all associates’ performance with assistance to the Food and Beverage Director to ensure the restaurants are consistently meeting Buffalo Club standards. Ensure internal inspection scores are maintained within guidelines.
- Immediately respond to any member issues and develop action plans to correct continuous issues.
- Inspects dining room, banquet rooms and bars daily prior to each shift for setup, cleanliness and organization.
- Implements new menu roll outs in accordance with the New Menu Rollout Procedure to ensure that all associates are trained and tested and that all support functions such as POS are updated on time.
- Develops world class bar programs.
- Schedule all colleagues to maintain the service standards of The Buffalo Club while operating within budgeted labor cost guidelines. Actively adjusts schedules according to forecasted business levels.
- Assists the Food and Beverage Director to hire, train, motivate, retain, discipline, evaluate and supervise the work of all restaurant associates ensuring that that all are complying with The Buffalo Club Vision and Values.
- Assists Food and Beverage Director to develop and continually updates and refines training manuals for service to increase quality of service.
- Ensure proper care, security and maintenance of club equipment through proper supervision of associates
- Maintain daily housekeeping and maintenance program to include storage and operational areas and associate appearance. Reports any defective areas to Engineering.
- Direct associates to maintain the back of the house cleanliness and safety.
- Perform administrative duties including daily logs, inventory and preparing supply requisitions/ ordering, payroll and associate reviews.
- Ensure all associates are work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers, supervisors and other club departments.
- Actively manage and be present for all club events and large events when needed.
- Assists the Food and Beverage Director with purchasing and maintenance for all bars, a la carte wine lists and Wine Locker Owner wine list, development, offerings, and execution.
- Advanced understanding of executing a high-quality craft cocktail, beer and spirit program highly desired.
- Exceptional knowledge of all Beverage and Wine standards and operating procedures.
- Provide wine support to all departments when required or needed.
- Always acts ethically and honestly due to the sensitive nature of managing alcohol.
- Assures all Buffalo Club associates are following state and local laws and club policies and procedures for the service of alcoholic beverages.
- Maintain club wine product inventory within budgeted guidelines.
- Develops and maintains product and revenue control systems to reduce theft.
- Works with Food and Beverage Director to train all associates in the appropriate beverage service in their areas. Conducts monthly wine trainings for all departments.
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Food and Beverage on the procurement and receiving of wine product and supplies.
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Food and Beverage to market wine focused events to increase business and to plan promotional strategies.
- Keeps current with changing member preferences and industry trends relative to the wine operation.
- Works with Wine Society to plan and execute wine related events such as dinners, tastings etc.
- Inspects all wine service areas for setup, cleanliness, organization and maintenance.
- Must have full availability
- Must be able to continuously sit, stand and walk a minimum of 8 hours.
- Must be able to bend, kneel, push and pull over the course of a shift.
- All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per The Buffalo Club’s appearance standards.
- Will be occasionally required to perform job functions outdoors and be exposed to sun, heat, humidity and other elements.
- Must be able to work a flexible shift that includes early mornings, nights, weekends, holidays, split shifts, and extended shifts.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have a reliable form of transportation to and from work.
- Must be able to operate all related equipment.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English, both written and oral.
- Must be able to periodically lift and carry up to 40 lbs. over the course of a shift.
· Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university (hospitality management degree preferred).
· CMAA involvement preferred but not required.
· Four years minimum of leadership as an Assistant F&B manager, F&B Manager at a highly rated private club or luxury hotel.
· Verifiable progressive leadership advancement
· Passion and proven projects in change management
Licenses & Certificates:
· Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
- Complies with The Buffalo Club’s Vision & Values
- Report to work at the scheduled time, neatly groomed and dressed in accordance with The Buffalo Club’s appearance standards.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Anticipate guest and contact needs, ascertain satisfaction, and respond urgently and appropriately to concerns and requests.
- Exceptional communication abilities when interacting/ directing associates, guests, clients and internal departments to build relationships.
- Able to consistently perform duties with little direct supervision.
- Works harmoniously and professionally with co-workers.