This is the job description for ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF FINANCE.
Job Title: Assistant Director of Finance
Department: Finance and Accounting
Company: Dimension Development
Reports To: Director of Finance
Supervises: Accounting Manager, hourly accounting Associates
Job Purpose: To keep records of financial transactions for organization using calculator and computer.
Summary: This position is responsible for the oversight of the hotel's general ledger operations and supports the hotel Controller. Additionally, this person will be responsible for efficiently running the Accounting department in line with DDC standards while meeting guest and owner expectations.
1. Prepare and review all journal vouchers, month-end reports and reconciliations
2. Review preliminary financial statements with Controller
3. Participate in monthly financial reviews and assist Controller with the presentation of these reports
4. Assist Controller with supervising Accounting staff and the Information Technology functions of the hotel
including coaching and counseling associates to reflect hotel service standards and procedures, interviewing,
training and evaluating performance of staff.
5. Manage and help oversee hotel on-site accounting functions to ensure proper fiscal management, timely and
accurate reporting and analysis for the hotel. This responsibility also includes hotel financial planning,
budgeting, accounting and cash management
6. Systems administration, G/L account reconciliations, budget preparations, inventories, monthly closings and
full P&L responsibility.
7. Assist with managing and ensuring SOX compliance
8. Assist Controller with completing the year-end audit process. Review and approve all reconciliations and audit
work papers. Participate in and respond to auditor requests to ensure total hotel compliance.
9. Help prepare all monthly and annual financial statements. Investigate, review and analyze the variance
explanations, involving the department staff in this process. Take initiative to manage trouble shooting for
respective cost controls and revenue enhancement
10. Assist Controller with special reporting and analysis projects
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. Compute and record numbers correctly.
2. Follow procedures for keeping records.
3. Use eyes, hands, and fingers at the same time to enter figures in books and forms, or to operate a
calculator or personal computer.
4. Perform work that is routine and detailed.
5. Read and copy large quantities of numbers without error.
Accounting degree preferred
2 years or more of progressive Accounting experience, preferably in a hotel
Experience supervising Accounting staff members
Prior MICROS, Unifocus, hotel operating systems (Opera and PMS), DDC systems expertise desired
Must be an advanced user of Microsoft Word and Excel
Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Must possess the following strengths: high energy, entrepreneurial spirit, motivational leader, effective communicator, effective in providing exceptional customer service and ability to improve the bottom line.
Must have excellent organizational, administrative and problem-solving skills.
X Interview, select and train associates
X Set and adjust associates' rates of pay and hours of work
X Direct the work of associates
X Appraise associates' productivity & efficiency to recommend promotions or other changes in status
X Handle associate complaints
X Discipline associates
X Plan the work
X Determine the techniques to be used
X Apportion the work among associates
X Determine materials, supplies, machinery, equipment or tools to be used or merchandise to be bought, stocked &
X Control the flow and distribution of materials or merchandise and supplies
X Provide for the safety and security of the employees or the property
X Plan and control the budget
X Monitor or implement legal compliance measures
X Customarily and regularly direct the work of at least 2 or more full-time associates or their equivalent (1 full-time
associate at 40 and 2 half-time associates at 20 hours each, are equivalent to 2 full-time associates).
X Authority to hire or fire other associates, or makes suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing ,
advancement, promotion or any other change of status of other associates are given particular weight.
Physical Requirements and working conditions:
Ability to speak and hear in English. Close and distance vision. Frequent sitting with some walking and standing. Frequently lifts/carries up to 25 lbs. Continually works in normal office conditions and in close proximity to others.
Additional physical, visual and working conditions:
X Identify and distinguish colors
X Outdoor weather conditions
X Stand for long periods of time
X Walk extended distances
X Lift/carry 6-25 lbs.
X Reach hands and arms in any direction
X Kneel and/or stoop repeatedly
X Able to work overtime and/or irregular hours
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the requirements of the job, management reserves the right to add or remove duties from particular jobs when business need dictates.