FIG & OLIVE - D.C.
Location: US - DC - Washington
The purpose of the Sous Chef (non-exempt) is to assist the Chef de Cuisine in ensuring continued operation of the kitchen, back of house, and all matters associated with food production, preparation, cleanliness, storage, and stocking of products.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- This position ensures that all food production workers are performing their duties as prescribed by the quality standards established by the Chef de Cuisine
- Report to work in uniform at posted scheduled times
- Complete quality control line check for each meal period
- Overlook kitchen preparation of all stations and the production of all food.
- Verify that all portion sizes, quality standards, department rules, policies and procedures are maintained by kitchen employees.
- Assist with the training of kitchen personnel as well as food services staff.
- Set-up and see that station are ready to serve prior to lunch service
- Maintain high standards of quality and appearance of all food prepare and served
- Develop organized prep sheets with each menu change
- Overseeing see that all food prepared is of consistently high quality and that portions are consistently controlled
- Food tickets are complete and out in a timely manner
- Oversee and support line cooks in synchronizing food procurement and other food preparation tasks
- Read and follow recipes prepare and cook hot and cold food items
- Ensure there are daily sufficient prepped foods to ensure the restaurant runs as smoothly and efficiently as possible
- Prepare and plate final food products ensuring an attractive presentation is achieved
- Ensure all food orders are completed in an efficient manner
- Order and receive food product from vendors check in by item on invoice and input in receiving log
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of culinary trends and use them where appropriate
- Ensure cleanliness and high sanitation standards are maintained at all times
- Organize and maintain stock rooms and walk-in refrigerators
- At the end of the shift return all food items to designated storage areas - cover and date all perishable items
- Train line cooks on all aspects of the role, helping to enhance their cooking skills
- Must perform all miscellaneous duties assigned by upper management
- Know and comply with all company policies and procedures regarding safety, security, emergencies and energy
- Good listening and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to stand for 9 to 10+ hours
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Reliable and predictable attendance
- College degree/Culinary school degree preferred, but not necessary
- Minimum 3-4 years in a fast-paced kitchen, high-volume restaurant