JHM Hotels, Inc. Job Opportunities and Hotel Careers
JHM Hotels, Inc. is a national multi-brand hotel company that has developed, acquired, owned, and operated hotels throughout the United States for more than 36 years. These years of growth have earned the company rich and varied experience in every facet of modern hotel development and management.
JHM Hotels has 40 properties with over 6,520 rooms and 1,500 associates with a concentration in key U.S. destinations such as Orlando, Atlanta, Miami, Charleston, SC and soon Washington, DC, along with a five-star luxury hotel in Surat, India. Operating under top performing franchise flags such as Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, and Starwood, JHM is committed to being a premier lodging company. The company's mission statement shares this commitment with guests, associates and ownership.
The JHM "family" has grown by inviting highly qualified, performance-oriented professionals to join their team and continue to add chapters to the JHM Hotels success story. JHM continues to add to its portfolio through a well balanced and long term growth plan. New associates who are excited about developing a career with a dynamic, values-driven company and ready to be challenged are great candidates for becoming a part of this well-established, yet growing company.
JHM Hotels is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the E-Verify program.
Candidates are offered an opportunity to explore a work environment where their hard work, dedication, integrity and commitment are the keys to their personal and professional growth. With a long standing history of promotion from within and a low turnover rate, which is significantly below the industry standards, the limits of a hospitality career with JHM are unending.
You will find JHM Hotels driven to be "a premier lodging company", never satisfied with the status quo and always searching for a better way to exceed associate, guest and owner expectations.
The purpose of the Sous Chef is to support the Executive Chef in the Food & Beverage operations.
Directly or indirectly supervises associates and/or supervisors. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: interviewing, hiring, and training associates; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Essential Job Functions
- Operate Kitchen department within budgetary guidelines and in response to actual conditions
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and controls on issues relating to Kitchen operations to include reduction of waste, spoilage and breakage; food handling and sanitation; recipe, portion control and specifications etc.
- Control food cost by training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling, by training kitchen, banquet, restaurant and steward associates on how to handle leftover food items, and by making creative use of leftover food.
- Complete or assist with the administrative duties associated with personnel and payroll matters in a timely manner. Ensure that all kitchen/steward associates consistently adhere to uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
- Assist with the development and conduct effective training programs to educate staff on specific job skills and quality of service to guests; include proper handling and maintenance of all kitchen equipment.
- Understand and enforce adherence to health department and hotel sanitation and food handling guidelines.
- Comply with all recipes and product specifications and assure that staff does the same.
- Maintain effective communication within Kitchen, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems. Ensure that kitchen/steward staffs are kept aware of issues relating to food and beverage and general hotel operations.
- Attend meetings as scheduled and meet regularly with kitchen staff. Maintain effective working relationship with food and beverage management staff and hotel departments.
- Conduct regular inspections of all kitchen/dishwashing areas and coolers to correct deficiencies found during inspection.
- Assist in menu development.
- Inspect fish, meat and poultry upon arrival to ensure freshness and compliance to specifications and order.
- Prepare reports, proposals and other communications as assigned.
2-5 years as a Sous Chef in a recognized resort or hotel is preferred along with managing or supervising a staff of culinarians; excellent communication skills. College Degree in Culinary Arts is highly preferred.
Interested, qualified applicants can apply online at www.jhmhotels.com . Online applications are required for consideration.
JHM hotels is an equal opportunity and e-verify employer. All applicants are subject to background and substance abuse screening prior to any offer of employment.