Fig and Olive
Chef de Cuisine (Chicago, IL)
Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in the United States will not be considered.
FIG & OLIVE is about passion for the best olive oils, flavors and cuisine from the Riviera & Coastal regions of the South of France, Italy and Spain. Our large variety of extra virgin olive oils was selected to be paired with each dish and to be offered for tasting at the beginning of each meal. With fresh, seasonal ingredients and simple preparation, our cuisine exudes the genuine taste of food, from a ripe heirloom tomato, a leaf of aromatic basil, to a fresh grilled fish finished with lemon, rosemary, thyme and olive oil-simplicity, healthiness and refined flavors at their best.
Mougins, France has been the inspiration for FIG & OLIVE. Our cuisine is based on genuine ingredients and a respect of flavors. Mougins is also referred to as the birthplace of the "Cuisine of the Sun." FIG & OLIVE'S elegant and warm design with limestone stucco walls, terra-cotta colored ceiling, and green rosemary and olive trees exude the essence of the Mediterranean.
FIG & OLIVE is actively seeking exceptional and highly qualified candidates to join our growing team in the following locations Chicago, IL, Newport Beach, CA, New York City, Westchester, NY, West Hollywood, CA, and Washington D.C. (Opening 2015). We firmly believe that in order to create a rewarding experience for our guests, we must select individuals willing to deliver the finest service imaginable.
To create a successful hospitality team, we seek individuals who can personally follow the five key points of our value system: Enthusiasm, Desire, Integrity, Excellence, and Hospitality. At FIG & OLIVE, we pride ourselves on developing motivated and passionate individuals in the areas of restaurant front and back of the house, finance, human resources, sales and marketing and corporate management positions. If our brand and culture aligns with your career aspirations, we invite you to search our current exciting job opportunities.
The purpose of the Chef de Cuisine is to utilize his/her skills and experience to operate the area of responsibility in a high quality and profitable manner so as to conform to the policies and procedures of FIG & OLIVE while providing the guest with a memorable experience. The Chef de Cuisine is absolutely vital to FIG & OLIVE’s brand and success. The Chef de Cuisine will manage the back of the house, from training to food prep, to the perfect execution of taste.
- Assumes responsibility for daily operations of restaurant kitchen
- Maintains strong leadership and management skills by working with a variety of employees at different skills levels and varied backgrounds
- Maintains a professional team oriented staff
- Manages kitchen staff and assigns work on an ongoing basis to ensure all stations remain stocked before and during meal period
- Provides reporting in a timely manner and meet deadlines
- Actively participates as a member of the Management Team
- Oversees kitchen labor and food cost to budgetary requirements
- Adheres to all company policies as stated in the employee handbook
- Actively monitors staffing levels to minimize cost and increase productivity
- Ensures consistent compliance with all federal, state and local employment and wage laws
- Hires, trains, disciplines and terminates employees with company standards
- Sets excellent customer service and work examples, including demonstrating exemplary work ethic
- Maintains proper time keeping policies and procedures
- Ensures all recipes and food preparation are followed and accurate
- Verifies kitchen staff follows all recipes and portions servings correctly
- Performs line checks and demonstrates commitment to quality
- Adheres to Product Rotation (FIFO)
- Ensures kitchen, dish, and storage areas are kept clean and organized
- Carries out Daily and Weekly Food purchases - Food quality and specification
- Follows order guides and understands F&O quality & pricing standards
- Spends a minority of his or her time (no more than 25%) performing the same duties as the kitchen staff
- Manages daily par levels according to restaurant sales mix and avoids waste
- Proactively manages labor costs, food purchasing, and utilization to maximize cost efficiencies
- Manages Physical Inventory (storage area, freezer, cooler, spice rack, bag-in-box area, expo area, line and service stations)
- Performs Data Entry of Inventory, Purchases / Invoices - Daily high cost perpetual inventory
- Receives product, and verifies invoices and freshness of merchandise
- Ensures all health and safety codes, and company safety and security policy are consistently met
- Ensures sanitation standards (temperature logs, HACCP review, sanitation walkthroughs)
- Monitors Temp Logs
- Good listening and verbal communication skills
- Must be alert to staff and guest needs
- Must possess strong leadership abilities
- Must be able to stand for 9 to 10+ hours
- Ability to teach and train others
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Attention to detail required
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills required
- College degree/Culinary school degree preferred, but not necessary
- Minimum 6 years of experience in a role of Chef de Cuisine
- Experience with volume of covers demanded by restaurant and fine dining
- Must have computer knowledge (Excel, Windows, etc.)
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential job functions being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications.
FIG & OLIVE is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).