Shangri-La hotel, Toronto
Location: CA - ON - Toronto
Provides expert wine knowledge to guests, Colleagues and management in all F&B outlets and Banquets, with creativity, personal commitment and an emotional sense of true hospitality; maximizing the balance between Colleague, Guest and Owner satisfaction.
- With high integrity, ensure that guests experience the highest quality 5 diamond/5 star culinary standards with personality and style.
- Interact with colleagues as internal customers, strategic partners in delivering Shangri-La hospitality from caring people according to brand service deliverables.
- Demonstrate creativity, personal commitment to service excellence and an emotional sense of gracious hospitality.
- As a true service Ambassador, meet service expectations proactively, promptly, professionally, with genuine care to attention, detail and efficiency.
- Actively demonstrate teamwork, safe work practices, open communication, accuracy in transactions, respect, sincerity, helpfulness, courtesy and humility.
- Maintain comprehensive current knowledge of wines, other beverages, competitors and industry practices.
- Make recommendations to the Director of F&B Outlets on the selection of wines and related beverages, including the cellaring, promotion and typing of all services or products.
- Ensure accurate monthly wine inventory management.
- Manage the wine ordering and par levels for all Food & Beverage Outlets including Banquets.
- Ensure compliance to all hotel policies, standards and core practices.
- Update wine menu when adding/changing any product offerings on printed menu and micros POS systems
- Maintain positive internal and external relationships, familiarity with local venues, attractions, restaurants, events, and Shangri-La hospitality standards.
- Provide and maintain expert wine knowledge, including appropriate recommendations for vintage, food and wine pairings, vineyards, and comparable, and training to staff.
- Monitor and ensure smooth operations of appointed section, check for quality and presentation to designated F&B standards for all items prior to serving.
- Greet guests, attend to food, beverage and other service needs as appropriate and ensure accurate reporting of charges to guest folios.
- Ensure overall room ambiance, cleanliness, appropriate setting and presentation.
- Address complaints at earliest and first point of customer contact, ultimately providing outstanding customer service.
- Apply the necessary precautions with regards to food safety and hygiene standards.
- Undertake other ad hoc related responsibilities, including Assistant Manager-Bosk duty as required.
The following is considered mandatory for this position:
- Functional knowledge – Passion for wine, food and strives to exceed expectations for service excellence with demonstrated understanding of international fine dining, wine, beverage and service standards commensurate of the leading hotels in the world.
- Customer Service Excellence – Exceptional service style, genuinely warm presence, friendly, sincere nature, drive for service excellence, internally proud, outwardly gracious and humble.
- Internal Service – appreciation that ‘internal customers’ (i.e. Cooks) are considered strategic partners.
- Communication – Excellent communication and social skills, 100% fluency in English with impeccable standards of hygiene and grooming.
- Wine Expertise – Extensive wine knowledge.
- Safety Focus – Demonstrates safe work practices and looks for ways to minimize workplace injuries.
- Decision making- Able to prioritize, making prompt and reasonable decisions.
- Problem solving –Adept at juggling multiple needs, calmly, respectfully, creatively and successfully resolve problems, as required.
- Emotional maturity – Interacts with others in a respectful manner, with demonstrated qualities of sincerity, helpfulness, courtesy and humility.
- Ethical and professional conduct – Fulfills responsibilities with highest integrity.
- Technology proficiency– Operates and maintains all departmental equipment, fully competent with POS.
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto is compliant with its obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and will provide reasonable accommodation in the application and interview process for this position upon request.
- Sommelier training and designation mandatory (minimum WSET Level 3).
- Minimum 3 year previous work experience in a similar capacity at a fine dining or luxury service level.
- Required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Smart Serve and Food Safe Level 1 certification.