Social Catering Sales Manager
The Langham, Boston
Location: US - MA - Boston
Boston, MA, US 02110
Purpose of the job
To be responsible for the development and promotion of the Catering Sales market segment at The Langham, Boston encompassing the following market segments: Social Catering Sales handling primarily weddings, social engagements, and some educational/corporate markets. (no guest rooms)
- To develop catering sales market segments in line with set goals and targets agreed with the Director of Catering to achieve and maximize on planned revenues in the given financial year.
- To handle and prepare & detail catering inquiries in assigned market.
- To work in close conjunction with the catering sales team to identify and develop potential Catering Sales leads and opportunities for the hotel.
- To liaise with Culinary and Banquet Team in the operation of all booked events within the hotel.
- To research existing clients for additional banquet and event meeting business.
- To maintain an updated database in Delphi of key/prospect/suspect accounts by entering current address, contacts, profiles, trace systems and activities in accordance with the Langham brand standards.
- Solicit business from assigned market segments, to include outside solicitations, wedding shows, networking events, and industry showcases.
- To follow up and research all cancelled and regretted business within market segment
- To liaise closely with the Director of Catering and Conference Services to determine selling strategies and target rates and provide assistance when necessary in quoting on incoming business.
- To refer business to sister hotels, domestic and international where opportunities arise using Pipeline application
- To be fully conversant with the Catering Sales plan and hotel budgets and focus activities accordingly. Held accountable for quarterly action plans to achieve quarterly revenue goals.
- To complete post event interviews with customers to determine satisfaction and also identify future business opportunities.
- To be aware and maintain Langham standards and policies at all times. Including but not limited to Shop Call scores, Meeting Matrix ratings and GSI scores.
- Conduct site inspections for prospective event and meeting inquiries.
- Meet monthly goals for active business solicitation, outside client calls, hotel site visits and in house entertaining of clients
- Responsible for soliciting, qualifying, developing accounts and booking events within their assigned market segment and territory.
- Meet and exceed monthly revenue quotas established at the beginning of the year.
- Maximize room rental and food and beverage revenue by working within monthly booking guidelines.
- Maximize function revenue by booking the proper meeting space based on food and beverage/attendance ratio.
- Responsible for managing account base, continuous development of new contacts and companies determining total potential of each account.
- Follow-up on account traces to capture their booking patterns and planning season.
- Responsible for planning and execution of yearly action plan which outlines all, client receptions, site inspections, sales blitz, etc
- Updating the plan quarterly to ensure proper focus on clients and segments.
- Coordinate and attend client functions and events throughout the year.
- Self Management: Sets high personal performance standards, plans and organizes a systematic approach to getting things done, manages time and resources effectively, prioritize actions and manages tasks through to completion, actively seeks opportunities to develop and learn from experience
- Communication and Leadership Skills: Communicates openly and clearly both verbally and in writing, pitches information at the appropriate level, listens to the needs of others before contributing, develops positive working relationships at all levels, manages conflict effectively, motivates and inspires others to perform.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: collects and analyzes relevant information about a problem, seeks innovative solutions, makes conscious decision to go for action, accepts personal responsibility to make things happen, constantly reviews in order to improve.
- Pro-Active Behavior: Self-reliant, working with minimal control and direction, acts on own initiative when appropriate, takes calculated risks to achieve results, thinks ahead developing contingency plans where necessary, has drive and determination to succeed, contributes and is effective when team working with peers.
- Influencing Skills: Presents powerful arguments which persuade others, expresses confidence in own ideas and networks with others, gains commitment to action from a range of people.
- Flexibility: Adapts quickly and positively to new situations, continues to be productive in changing circumstances, can handle more than one task or situation at a time.
- Additional responsibilities and/or special assignments may be required at the request of hotel management.
- Work with Catering Manager (partner) to ensure that client function requirement are properly blocked and client relationship is established.
- Proficiency in Delphi computer system - all accounts, bookings and correspondence is generated from the computer
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in catering sales required.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/GENERAL REQUIREMENTS/REQUIRED PHYSICAL, MENTAL ABILITIES
Use written (verbal/visual) sources of information, e.g. read reports, procedural documentation, and references materials.
Use non-verbal/visual sources of information, e.g. reference graphs, tables.
Perform detailed work requiring visual acuity, e.g. repair electronic equipment.
Use verbal auditory sources of information, e.g. interviews, group meetings.
Use oral communication to perform work, e.g. answer telephone, receive visitors.
Digital dexterity, e.g. using computer keyboard, typewriter.
Stand, sit, reach, grasp, lift/carry, walk, climb, kneel, squat, bend, push/pull.
Make decisions requiring limited judgment, e.g. task sequencing, filing, and sorting mail.
Make decisions in the absence of specific directions, e.g. prioritizing workload.
Perform activities requiring sustained concentration, e.g. designing, and planning work.
Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
Computer knowledge (Delphi & Microsoft Word).