Senior Group Sales Manager
The Langham, Boston
Location: US - MA - Boston
Boston, MA, US 02110
Purpose of the job
To meet and exceed room night and rate quotas both personally and within the group sales team established at the beginning of the year. Drive group sales results through maximizing and managing sales resources and efforts to ensure continued market penetration in terms of exceeding revenue targets and market/customer share per account.
Planning and Organizing – contributes to the strategy and planning activities of the group sales function
- With the DOS develops the Group Sales Plan which accurately interprets the objectives of the business and uses this to communicate and to focus the teams and own efforts.
- Contributes to the development of group sales initiatives recommending, implementing and monitoring appropriate local activity to achieve revenue results.
- Identifies, locates and secures the people and financial resources needed to achieve the sales results required.
- Provides accurate weekly and monthly group “yearly need” forecasts.
Account Management – maintains Langham Best Practice to ensure customer account objectives are defined and appropriate sales activities implemented.
- Prepares account development plans, detailing objectives, timescales and sales methods to support the defined account strategies to achieve group revenue goal.
- Liaises with GSO, GSA’s, GBCVB, and CMC specifying the account’s contribution to the business’ revenue targets and agree activities.
- Accurately identifies the level of influence and decision making power of contacts in the customer organization and uses these to secure business.
- Develop customer accounts to increase market/customer share, all revenue streams – locally, nationally and globally.
Marketing Intelligence – monitors and maintains competitor set activity including:
- Financial performance, SWOT analysis, key accounts/market share, and third party programs.
Customer Relationships – establishes, enhances and maintains productive quality working relationships with key internal and external customers.
- Keeps hotel information relating to customer requirements, interests and market activities up-to-date.
- Reviews customer base to determine new opportunities for account penetration.
- Liaises with Director of Sales to review the effectiveness of group sales team and activities.
- Contributes ideas to improve the products and services offered.
Team Leadership – assists with directing, monitoring and evaluating sales performance of account teams and self to ensure sales revenue targets are being met.
- Agrees, clarifies and implements Best Practice selling methods and procedures at all levels in the team to ensure business objectives are met.
- Discusses with DOS departmental and individual objectives for the team, reviewing and updating in light of changes in the business, implementing corrective action where necessary.
- Communicates regularly and on time verbally and non-verbally, providing individual team members with prompt and specific feedback on performance.
- Creates an atmosphere which motivates and encourages people to perform to the best of their ability, minimizing conflict where it occurs.
Develop Individuals and Teams – Assist with selection, trains, coaches and develops people to enhance performance and to meet the current and future needs of the department.
Assist in recruitment of individuals who have the potential to perform within the team.
- Assists DOS with training and development plans for the department and related areas.
- Ensure planned “Selling the Legend” training and coaching activities happen on a regular basis.
- Regularly reviews and evaluates the impact training is having on performance at departmental, team and individual level.
- Ensure Pipeline goals are achieved.
- To be fully accountable for individual and group Sales Plan, and assist in achieving Hotel budgets and focus activities accordingly.
- Sets high personal performance standards.
- Plans, organizes and uses a systematic approach to get things done, while managing time and resources effectively.
- Prioritizes actions and manages tasks through to completion.
- To be aware and maintain Langham standards and policies at all times.
- Actively seeks opportunities to develop and learn from experience.
Communication and Leadership Skills
- Communicates openly and clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Pitches information at the appropriate level.
- Listens to the needs of others before contributing and develops positive working relationships at all levels.
- Manages conflict effectively.
- Motivates and inspires others to perform, while leading by example.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Collects and analyzes relevant information about a problem.
- Seeks innovative solutions, makes a conscious decision to go for action.
- Accepts personal responsibility to make things happen.
- Self reliant, working with minimal control and direction, acts on own initiative when appropriate.
- Takes calculated risks to achieve results.
- Thinks ahead, developing contingency plans where necessary.
- Has drive and determination to succeed.
- Presents powerful arguments which persuade others.
- Expresses confidence in own ideas and networks with others.
- Gains commitment to action from a range of people.
- Adapts quickly and positively to new situations.
- Continues to be productive in changing circumstances.
- Can handle more than one task/situation at a time.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/GENERAL REQUIREMENTS/REQUIRED PHYSICAL, MENTAL ABILITIES
At least undergraduate degree holder in relevant discipline.
At least 5 years experience in on of the following fields: hotel sales, hotels revenue management/distribution.
Well organized and a good planner with an enquiring mind.
Prompt and systematic decision making skills.
Be able to analyze data and make good decisions based on the facts at hand.
Independent and ability to work under pressure.
Good interpersonal and presentation skills for working with third party partners and the internal marketing an executive team.
Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English.
Goal oriented, proven track record.
Use written (verbal/visual) sources of information, e.g. read reports, procedural documentation, and references materials.
Use non-verbal/visual sources of information, e.g. reference graphs, tables.
Perform detailed work requiring visual acuity, e.g. repair electronic equipment.
Use verbal auditory sources of information, e.g. interviews, group meetings.
Use oral communication to perform work, e.g. answer telephone, receive visitors.
Digital dexterity, e.g. using computer keyboard, typewriter.
Stand, sit, reach, grasp, lift/carry, walk, climb, kneel, squat, bend, push/pull.
Make decisions requiring limited judgment, e.g. task sequencing, filing, and sorting mail.
Make decisions in the absence of specific directions, e.g. prioritizing workload.
Perform activities requiring sustained concentration, e.g. designing, and planning work.
Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
Proficient in Starcite, Delphi, Word, Excel, Meeting Path