Senior Catering Sales Manager
Location: US - CA - San Francisco
San Francisco, CA, US 94102
Under the general guidance of the Director of Events, responsible for effectively selling the public space, food and beverage, and function planning services of the hotel to maximize revenues and profits for the hotel. He/she is responsible for establishing new accounts, generates revenues, monitors booking space, and books repeat business while keeping quality consistently high.
Duties & Functions:
- Bring in new clients and new markets.
- Set solicitation goals with the Director of Catering, and meet or exceed solicitation goals and revenue goals
- Handle inquiry calls and outside sales calls. Follow through to completion of function(s)
- Assist in achieving financial goals.
- Assist with prospective client walk-ins.
- On-site tours to prospective guests
- Send menus, proposals, beo’s and contracts to clients.
- Attend BEO and Department Head meetings upon request from DOC.
- Entertain new and repeat clients.
- Responsible that contracts are signed and money received
- Create client timelines.
- Update weekly recap reports.
- Knowledge and ability to step in and assist with all administrative core duties.
- Meet bi-weekly with Director of Catering for status updates.
- Attend weekly sales and catering meetings.
- Attend weekly catering/special events meetings.
- Travel when needed to meet with new and repeat clients.
- Meet and greet in-house guests upon arrival, review the course of events and introduce other staff members (banquet manager, captain, etc.)
- Develop menus and agendas, ensure BEO’s are issued, and complete all pertinent correspondence with outside vendors to finalize programs
- Maintain current information on and monitor booking trends to produce forecast figures and month-end reports
- Understand the Catering incentive program
- Manage booking space
- Maintain pricing integrity and propose upscale menus for all groups
- Interact with outside planners and vendors for special events
- Ensure compliance with all local liquor laws, and health and sanitation regulations
- Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner
- Work with other Food and Beverage managers and keep them informed of Food and Beverage issues as they arise
- Comply with weekly and monthly forecasting procedures
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees enlivening MHG Core Values
- Comply at all times with Morgans Hotel Group standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations
Specific Job Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Three years of progressive management experience
- Previous experience in hotel sales preferred
- For Union properties only:
- Must possess a minimum of five (5) years Hotel and/or Food and Beverage operational experience directing a department of Union employees
- Must have strong and proven knowledge and practice of Hotel Collective Bargaining Agreements (will be subject to a skill test during interview process)
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast paced environment and have a high level attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments
- Ability to work independently and to partner with others to promote an environment of teamwork
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 15 pounds without assistance
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. This job description reflects the job content at the time of writing and will be subject to periodic change in light of changing operational and environmental requirements. Such changes will be discussed with the job holder and the job description amended accordingly. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends and holidays. The employee will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager or Head of Department/Division.
The employee will actively follow MHG policies and will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.
Morgans Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.