Since 1987, Pacific Hospitality Group has maintained a strategic vision and strong core values as guiding principles for business success. With luxury hotel properties from Napa Valley to Southern California, PHG's growing portfolio of hotel and resort investments reinforces the company's cohesive vision and ensuing success.
PHG manages, develops, finances, and owns hotels and resorts located in California, Hawaii, Arizona and Louisiana. We currently own and manage 11 hotels and resorts, representing over 2,676 rooms and 203,650 square feet of premier indoor meeting and event space.
Supervises the culinary Team Members in assigned area(s) to ensure guests receive the
highest level of service and quality on a daily and consistent basis. Responsible for
assisting in the direction and administration of the planning, preparation, production and
control of all culinary operations in assigned restaurants while continuing effort to deliver
outstanding guest service and financial profitability.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1. Supervises subordinate personnel in the assigned kitchen. Carries out
supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and
applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees.
Schedules employees based on work demands, verifies payroll, reports sales,
and generates related reports. Recommends applicants for selection. Plans,
assigns and directs work. Recommends performance ratings. Recommends
merit increases, promotions and reclassification. Determines work quality
expectations and sets deadlines.
2. Monitors day-to-day restaurant and event operations to ensure standards of
product presentation and service exceed guest expectations and meet or exceed
property standards. Takes or recommends corrective action as needed.
3. Works to achieve budgeted revenues, controls expenses and maximizes
profitability within assigned areas. Utilizes corporate approved computer
programs to analyze, forecast, and prepare cost and revenue reports. Makes
decisions and takes action based on that information to maximize profitability.
Ensures quality and portion control while minimizing waste or loss of supplies to
4. Oversees and participates in preparation of food items, such as salads, soups,
sauces, meats, and vegetables according to prescribed recipes and guidelines.
Bakes, roasts, broils and steams meats, fish, vegetables and other foods. Adds
seasoning to foods during mixing or cooking, according to recipe and adjusts as
5. Reads menu to estimate food requirements and requisitions food from storage.
Manages food inventory to prevent shortages. Ensures all food is stored in
proper containers and at proper storage and holding temperatures.
6. Adjusts thermostat controls to regulate/maintain appropriate temperature of
ovens, broilers, grills, roaster and steam kettles.
7. Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipe using a variety of kitchen
utensils and equipment such as blenders, mixers, grinders, slicers, and knives.
8. Observes and tests foods being cooked by tasting, smelling, and piercing with
fork to observe that it is cooked. Uses thermometer to ensure food is
cooked/maintained at proper temperature.
9. Carves meats, portions food onto serving plates, adds gravies and sauces and
10. Ensures guests receive outstanding, consistent, exceptional food. Seeks
opportunities to improve satisfaction and immediately handles any guest
concerns or complaints.
11. Ensures all kitchen work and storage areas are clean and properly set up.
Maintains sufficient inventory of food, supplies and equipment and orders as
needed. Participates in weekly/monthly inventories. Ensures equipment is
properly maintained. Ensures compliance with all food and beverage regulations.
12. Monitors SOPs to ensure consistent, exceptional food is provided. Assists in
developing and updating policies and procedures. Participates in weekly meeting
with Management Team to ensure weekly goals, challenges, and service
standards are met.
13. Follows all standard food handling, TIPS, sanitation and health department
14. Must wear non-slip, oil-resistant shoes. Follows all safety policies and
procedures. Reports potential safety issues to manager whenever observed and
takes immediate action to resolve in emergency situations. OSHA laws require
the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties
that have the potential of risk to your health or safety. Associates will be trained
in the proper use and care of assigned PPE if applicable. The hotel provides the
required PPE. Team Member has responsibility to report defective, damaged or
lost PPE or equipment that does not fit properly to their Manager. Maintains
strict compliance with hotel's Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) program and
familiarizes self with current MSDS.
15. Reporting to work as scheduled (on time and on regular basis) is an essential
function of the job.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
1. Makes recommendations on new menu items based on current food trends,
sales and regional tastes.
2. May make merit recommendations within budget or established guidelines.
Recommends promotions or reclassifications within company policy.
3. Resolves guest complaints within scope of authority; otherwise refers the matter
to management. Notifies supervisor and/or Security of all unusual events,
circumstances, missing items, or alleged theft.
4. Notifies management of unsafe conditions, needed maintenance of any
equipment and any accidents.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related
duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add,
modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
1. Two years of increasingly responsible restaurant food preparation experience
required. Prior lead or supervisory experience required. Possess an in-depth
knowledge of restaurant food preparation, professional cooking and knife
2. Requires ability to lead others in the department by mentoring and providing
training that results in staff that meets/exceeds guest expectations and provides
a high level of guest satisfaction.
3. Ability to monitor labor as required by anticipating business activity while
ensuring that positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives
4. Requires ability to communicate with cooking staff to ensure work is completed
and food is served according to property standards. Must demonstrate positive
attitude and professional demeanor. Requires strong communication and
interpersonal skills and commitment to a high level of guest satisfaction.
5. Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative
solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Requires attention to detail.
Must be able to solve problems and remain calm and alert during busy activity
periods or in an emergency situation.
6. Requires ability to learn and use POS computer systems used at the hotel.
7. Strong attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple tasks. Ability to solve
practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of
instructions fu rnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
8. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional
journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write
reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively
present information and respond to questions from groups of managers,
employees, guests and the general public. Must be able to speak, read, write and
understand English to commu