Rooms Division Manager
Bethany Beach Ocean Suites
Location: US - DE - Bethany Beach
REPORTS TO: General Manager
SUPERVISES DIRECTLY: All Front Office, Breakfast, and Housekeeping Personnel
Purpose for the Position: To assume full and direct responsibility for the management of the day-to-day and long-term hotel rooms division, to include all departments outlined above. To ensure all assigned departments function in accordance with state and brand standards at all times. To work with the General Manager to ensure an efficient operation that provides levels of service that consistently exceeds visitor, guest, management, and ownership expectations.
This position shall serve as the Direct Supervisor and to assume full responsibility for the following departments and the department heads, whose individual job outlines include the following:
- To ensure that guests are greeted, checked in, and allocated rooms promptly and courteously.
- To ensure that check-in procedures are strictly adhered to and that the correct address and charge out details are obtained from each guest.
- To be readily available at all times to deal with problems or complaints.
- To ensure that rooms have been serviced and maintained to the standards established by the Company.
- To ensure maximum room occupancy within agreed overbooking policy.
- To ensure effective liaison between Front Office Staff with other departments (e.g. Housekeeping, Sales and Engineering).
- To ensure that all charges are correctly entered on guests' bills and that this is up to date at all times.
- To ensure that credit control procedures are strictly adhered to, that no bills exceed the stipulated limit without prior approval and that written confirmation, purchase orders, or order numbers are on file.
- To ensure that ledgers are balanced daily.
- To ensure effective and speedy check-out procedures.
- To ensure that luggage is delivered to and collected from rooms speedily.
- To ensure that inquiries, messages, and theatre bookings are dealt with courteously and efficiently.
- To ensure that all Front of House Staff are correctly dressed at all times.
- To ensure that all Front of House areas are clean and orderly at all times.
- To ensure that newspapers and parcels are delivered to rooms without delay.
- To ensure that incoming and outgoing telephone calls are handled promptly and courteously.
- To ensure maximum security of all items left in safety deposit boxes.
- To carry out systematic checks of all Front of House areas for maintenance requirements, repairs or refurbishing, ensuring that these are acted on without delay.
- To ensure that the Hotel Entrance is easily accessible to cars and taxis at all times.
- To hold regular performance appraisals with all staff, identifying areas for development and training needs, and ensuring that this training is effective.
- To carry out or ensure that regular On-the-Job training is taking place to agreed standards.
- To hold regular meetings with department's personnel.
- To ensure that manning levels are correct and these are not exceeded without permission.
- To ensure that the most suitably qualified person is appointed in the event of a vacancy - wherever possible this should be an internal promotion.
- To ensure all food handling are in compliance with NYS and Global Food Safety standards at all times.
- To ensure maximum security in all areas under your control.
- To act as Manager on Duty when required.
- To attend Management Meetings as required.
- To ensure accurate and timeliness submission of all reports and administrative work.
- To prepare and submit on the required format annual budgetary information and updates as required.
- To monitor trends within the industry and make suggestions how these could be implemented.
- To be familiar with all local Civil Defence measures.
- To ensure that staff under your control are trained in Civil Defence measures.
- Supervise Housekeeping Staff: hiring, terminating, performance evaluations, training, and development.
- Assist General Manager in the development of the department's annual budget. Monitor performance against plan.
- Establish and maintain cost control systems for staffing, inventories, (linen, terry, OS&E and cleaning supplies).
- Enforce policies and procedures.
- Ensure quality services are rendered in meeting guest needs and that guest relations are enhanced.
- Schedule staff according to labor standards and forecasted business levels.
- Prepare daily assignment sheets for all Housekeeping and Laundry associates.
- Maintain cleanliness quality based on hotel objectives.
- Monitor and maintain levels of cleanliness in event areas, storage areas, restrooms, public areas, and offices.
- Compile and report accurate status of "the house" to the Front Desk Department.
- Work to enforce standard procedures for the acceptance, security, and return on guest lost and found items.
- Maintain standard procedures for security of rented and leased equipment.
- Maintain productivity and labor cost goals.
- Work with finance to conduct formal inventories of linen, supplies, and equipment as required.
- Order and receive supplies so as to maintain adequate inventory levels.
- Check all vacant rooms and spaces, public spaces, storage areas, and rest areas daily.
- Maintain departmental key control.
- Maintain deep cleaning program.
- Act as Manager on Duty as required.
- Conduct monthly department meetings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Complete projects as determined by the General Manager.
To perform the position of Rooms Division Manager you must be able to:
- Read and interpret business records and statistical reports.
- Use mathematical skills to interpret financial information and prepare budgets.
- Analyze and interpret established policies.
- Understand government regulations covering business operation.
- Make business decisions based on production reports and similar facts as well as on your own experience and personal opinions.
- Deal with the general public, customers, associates and government officials with tact and courtesy.
- Plan and organize the work of others.
- Change activity frequently and cope with interruptions.
- Speak and write clearly.
- Accept full responsibility for managing an activity.
- Complete all assigned tasks, reports, projects etc. in a professional manner and on an on-time basis
- Be available for work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Physical Demands: Lifting 20 lbs. Maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 lbs. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing.
Environmental Conditions: Inside:&nb sp; Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. A job is considered "inside" if the worker spends approximately 75% or more of the time inside.
Math Skills: Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: Deal with system of real numbers; algebraic solution of equations; and probability and statistical inference. Apply fractions, percentages, ratio and proportion.