Restaurant Manager - Westin Columbus
Location: US - OH - Columbus
The Restaurant Manager provides the leadership expertise that ensures the effective and efficient operation of the Restaurant. This position will be responsible for managing the Restaurant and Room Service. Some of the daily responsibilities include: supervision of the Restaurant team, management of payroll & labor, customer service & guest satisfaction and team member training & coaching.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Develop and implement operating procedures and standards that support associates in their effort to deliver exceptional service and teamwork.
- Control costs by adhering to standards of operations for forecasting, budgeting, scheduling, payroll control and other expense management systems.
- Manage labor costs, food controls, equipment maintenance and training leading to increased profitability.
- Create and drive revenue generation, initiatives and effective Sales and Marketing of the restaurant.
- Create guest satisfaction by providing associates with the training and resources they need to maximize associates engagement and deliver exceptional service and teamwork:
- Communicate and reinforce the vision for exceptional service to associates.
- Seek opportunities to improve the guest experience by seeking guest feedback, reviewing management reports and developing strategies to improve department and hotel services.
- Provide associates with the tools, training and environment they need to deliver exceptional service and teamwork. Ensure that associates provide genuine hospitality and teamwork on an ongoing basis.
- Forward planning and organization of the restaurant to include training, maintenance, forecasting and development of team and business.
- Interview all potential candidates for hire according to established needs.
- Responsible for maintaining and communicating effectively with the restaurant staff and kitchen staff in a timely manner, as well as developing good lines of communication with all other departments.
- Responsible for close communication of all expected business levels on a daily basis, before and during shifts, with the Executive Chef or Sous Chef.
- Develop and implement strategies and practices which support associate engagement:
- Provide associates with the orientation and training needed to understand expectations and perform job responsibilities.
- Weekly schedule and payroll functions to maximize profitability, efficiency and satisfaction.
- Communicate performance expectations and provides associates with on-going feedback. Firm, direct and self-assured in associate communications.
- Provide associates with coaching and counseling as needed to achieve performance objectives and reach their fullest potential.
- Develop and maintain rapport with hotel community and key community contacts to ensure a visible presence in the hotel/community:
- On-going service exploration of area food establishments to ensure that our standards outperform and exceed standards of local area.
- Day to day operations to include, but not limited to:
- Ensure that the Restaurant and Room Service is correctly set after each shift and all back areas are clean and ready for the next shift.
- Inspect all restaurant and room service areas to ensure proper maintenance is maintained. Report any maintenance issues to the appropriate department on the proper forms.
- Requisition of food and beverage by maintaining proper par levels. Maintain proper stock rotation.
- Ensure sanitation standards are maintained by direct observation and inspection of all service/kitchen area. Inspect all restaurant tables and areas before service to ensure consistency and accuracy of standards.
- Develop supervisors, hosts, room service, and server’s responsibility and understanding of all job duties and standards, thus instilling initiative and accountability and improving level of service and their career development.
- Handle guest complaints to gain guest understanding and satisfaction.
- Discuss in advance through pre-meal with all restaurant staff to ensure their full understanding of service standards and menu items, complete floor plans, describe specials, and ensure that grooming and general appearance conforms to hotel standards.
- Complete all micros cashing out procedures correctly and thoroughly. Review all assigned and approved side work for consistency and accuracy among staff.
- Log all voids and give explanation of situation.
- Complete administrative duties including payroll, scheduling, tip declaration, and forecasting.
- Conduct monthly inventories.
- Directly supervise operations during peak volume periods.
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as outlined in the Waterton SOPs.
- Be a leader and a role model to all associates.
- Perform any other job duties as assigned.
Candidates most successful in this role will display the following characteristics:
- Communication – People oriented; able to delegate when necessary; follows up in a friendly and helpful manner; well versed in conflict resolution and able to take on situations in careful and well thought out way.
- Leadership – Follows up closely to ensure standards are met in an efficient manner; collaborates well with others.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Able to make decisions within established boundaries with thoughtful calculation.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Minimum of five years’ Restaurant management experience required in high volume, high quality establishment.
- Professional, Service Oriented, '"can-do" attitude
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage time and work well under pressure
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Hotel/Restaurant or Business Administration, or equivalent education/experience required.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (may include an entire shift)
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 40lbs as needed
- Ability to bend, kneel and pull as necessary throughout a shift
- Due to the seasonal nature of the hospitality industry, and the fact that the hotel provides guest services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, associate will be required to work rotating shifts, night shifts.
Hospitality is a 24/7 industry therefore, candidates should be willing to work weekends and holidays as needed.
EOE - M/F/D/V/SO