Do you want to be part of the exciting revitalization of Detroit? The Detroit Foundation Hotel is looking for Restaurant General Manager to join our team!
Detroit Foundation Hotel is at the forefront of the renewal of the Motor City. A transformation of the former Detroit Fire Department Headquarters and adjacent Pontchartrain Wine Cellar building, The Foundation will be the top hotel in the market with authentic inspiration, design, and programming that respects Detroit’s past, yet is looking forward through its revival.
The food and beverage programming includes a three-meal restaurant and bar with approximately 200 covers positioned to be among the top restaurants in the region. The hotel’s restaurant will present iconic New American cuisine, and with space that will serve as an incubator for culinary students, up and coming chefs and visiting culinary influences. The elevated bar program will focus on collaboration with Michigan breweries and distillers.
The hotel features approximately 4500 square feet of meeting space, including a rooftop ballroom and a unique podcast studio. The 100-room hotel opened May 2017.
In this unique role, the Restaurant General Manager will be involved in setting up the department for success along with all other responsibilities assigned by management such as cross training and collaborating with other departments as needed.
- Creates and maintains an energizing environment, with superior associates, dedicated to an attentive, distinctive food and beverage experience
- Hires, trains, supervises, coaches, and motivates associates
- Identifies service issues and takes action to correct them
- Controls/ maximizes seating of the restaurant while maintaining high quality service
- Plans and executes functions or special receptions in rooms, suites and boardrooms
- Ensures the correct and consistent service techniques for various meal periods will be demonstrated by all associates members
- Controls usage of all food and beverage items and appropriate usage of equipment, tools and service equipment
- Observes daily conditions of all physical facilities and equipment in the restaurant; makes recommendations for corrections and improvements as needed
- Prepares associate schedules which allow for appropriate service while controlling labor costs and overtime
- Thorough understanding of all food and beverage items offered, including ingredients, methods of preparation and proper service.
- Expert knowledge of wines and spirits
- Handles all inventories directly involved with the operation of the Food and Beverage
- Thorough understanding of the computer system in ringing, printing and closing checks as well as shift reports
- Knowledge of budget preparation and cost controls
- Works with Executive Culinary Director, Executive Chef, Sous Chefs and other team members to design concepts, menus, beverage lists
- Ensures that financials goals of the Food and Beverage outlets and the hotel are being met. Monitor and control labor expenses and other divisional expenses such as supplies and equipment. Assist in preparing business forecasts. Prepare annual budget for the Food & Beverage division
- Excellent reading, writing and oral proficiency of the English language
- College degree, preferable in hotel and restaurant management
- 2 years of food and beverage management experience
- Thorough understanding of excellent service, labor control, maintenance, merchandising and accounting
- Computer literate
- Outstanding verbal and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent knowledge of food, wine and cocktails
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain Alcohol Awareness certification, Food Handlers Certification
- Maintain a good working relationship with other associates by promoting teamwork and fostering a harmonious working climate
- Partake in a positive work ethic and surrounding environment
- Able to work alone without direct supervision
- Demonstrate high degree of drive and determination
- Constantly recommend service and product improvement to better the operation
- Attend all required meetings
- Follow proper payroll and uniform procedures
- Properly handle and report associate and guest accidents
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards
- Assist with responsibilities and duties in other departments and as assigned by management
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel
- Standard restaurant setting
- Standard kitchen setting
- Standard Event setting
- Standard Room Service setting
- Professional, passionate and positive work environment
- Continuous standing and walking
- Fine motor coordination is needed to pour beverages, decorate cocktails and folding napkins
- Carts: 250 lbs. (12-20 lbs. of push/pull force required)
- Hot box: 20 lbs.
- Lifting and carrying 25 lb. tray, crate or box is occasional
- Negotiating varied floor surfaces is continuous
- Lifting and carry hot boxes continuous.
- Carrying stackable chairs by loading the cart continuous.
- Excellent sight and balance needed for negotiating varied floor surfaces, handling lighted candles,
and handling hot fluids (coffee and tea)
- Excellent speech and hearing to interact with guests
- Excellent sight for completion of paperwork
Aparium Hospitality Services, LLC does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws. Detroit Foundation Hotel is a smoke-free, drug-free facility, and equal opportunity employer.