Previously home to an elite athletic and social club, one of Chicago's most beloved landmarks from the 1890's is reborn as a bustling hotel playground, featuring a variety of iconic and unique restaurant and nightlife destinations, all in the heart of downtown. More than a restoration, Chicago Athletic Association is a revelation of historic architectural detail, from the grand marble staircases to the incomparable Cindy's Rooftop, showcasing creative food and drink with unmatched views across Millennium Park and Lake Michigan.
Job OverviewThis position will plan, prep, set up and prepare quality products in all areas of the Pastry/Bake Shop to include, but not limited to, pastries, desserts, breads, ice creams, sorbets, creams, simple syrups, jams, displays/centerpieces, in accordance with departmental quality standards and specifications.Essential Functions
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas
- and strictly abide by State sanitation/Health regulations and Hotel requirements
- Meet with Pastry Chef/Sous Chef to review assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance
- Establish priority items for the day and inform the Pastry Chef of any supplies that need to be requisitioned for the day's tasks
- Prepare and produce dessert menu items for Restaurants, Room Service and Banquets following recipes and yield guides
- Produce centerpieces for Banquets and buffets
- Display items attractively and to specified requirements
- Inform the Sous Chef of any shortages before the item runs out
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and Hotel requirements
- Review status of work and follow-up actions required with the Pastry Chef before leaving
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary Arts or equivalent experience preferred.
- Prior experience working in a commercial kitchen, preferably in a full-service boutique or luxury hotel environment with large events of varying specifications.
- Prior experience with standardized recipes and ability to follow presentation guidelines required.
- Must be able to communicate professionally in English, both written and verbal.
- Conversational abilities in other languages helpful.
- Must be able to move throughout crowded kitchen areas.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. regularly and up to 50 lbs on occasion; must be able to push/pull cart of up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to multi-task and display ability to recognize that the guests’ interests and needs are always primary.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays as business dictates.