Overnight Operations Manager
Location: US - CA - San Francisco
San Francisco, CA, US 94102
An inspired fusion of old-world hotel glamour with distinctly modern energy and design, the nearly century-old Clift’s daring sense of diversity perfectly captures the spirit of San Francisco, while maintaining its essence as a boutique luxury hotel. Designed by Philippe Starck, Clift, A Morgans Original, features a soaring lobby with one of the most eclectic furniture collections in all of California, including chairs from Ray and Charles Eames, a coffee table by Salvador Dali, and a surreal stool by Roberto Matta (inspired by René Margritte). The legendary Redwood Room bar, paneled with the wood of a single Redwood tree, is accented with digital art and the buzz of an elite San Francisco crowd. Velvet Room is a multi-purpose venue for eating, drinking and special events. Guests who simply want to relax, read or people watch can find the comforts of an old English club in the Living Room. Clift is the ultimate boutique hotel in San Francisco, located steps from Union Square and the Financial District, and close to Moscone Convention Center, Nob Hill, Fisherman's Wharf, Embarcadero, Telegraph Hill, Coit Tower and the Golden Gate Bridge.
Under the general guidance of the Director of Rooms, oversee the daily operations of the Front Office Department. Ensure that front desk and communications meet hotel standards for maximum guest satisfaction. As the Manager on Duty, act as the main contact for guests and other hotel departments.
Duties & Functions:
- Ensure smooth operation and clear communication of all departments during the overnight
- Ensure efficient guest registration, check out and telephone service
- Observe front desk agents and ensure that established procedures are completed in accordance with policy and procedure, i.e., proper public relations techniques are utilized, guests are handled both courteously and professionally, proper identification and credit are established and all posting, cash transactions, account settlements and deposits are handled correctly
- Observe front desk, concierge, bell, and telephone attendants and ensure that their duties are completed in accordance with established policy and procedure, i.e., proper public relations techniques are utilized, calls are handled both courteously and professionally, calls are answered on a timely basis and the proper greetings are used, messages and faxes are handled correctly and efficiently, guest complaints and problems are handled in a courteous and professional manner, and ensure follow through
- Direct and train front desk staff and operators
- Assist in new-hire and on-going training
- Direct and assist front desk staff and telecommunications in organizing breaks, ensuring that all work is completed efficiently and according to schedule
- Ensure all necessary reports and forms are completed daily
Specific Job Knowledge & Skills:
- High school Diploma or equivalent education required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- One year hotel front office experience required. Supervisory experience preferred
- One to two years in a public contact position, preferably in an upscale or lifestyle brand hotel
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast paced environment and have a high level attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments
- Ability to work independently and to partner with others to promote an environment of teamwork
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 15 pounds without assistance
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. This job description reflects the job content at the time of writing and will be subject to periodic change in light of changing operational and environmental requirements. Such changes will be discussed with the job holder and the job description amended accordingly. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends and holidays. The employee will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager or Head of Department/Division.
The employee will actively follow MHG policies and will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.
Morgans Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.