JOB TITLE: Sous Chef
DEPARTMENT: Mason Street Grill
SUPERVISOR: Executive Chef
POSITION PURPOSE: Train, supervise, and actively participate in specific hot or cold food production area of the kitchen in order to maintain Marcus Corporation’s high standards of quality. Supervise and manage new and current employees.
* Responsible for and supervises daily line operations.
* Prepares all food items for buffet and restaurant use according to recipe specifications.
* Visually inspects appearance of all food for proper taste, color combination, and overall presentation to maintain appeal.
* Supervises all assigned staff including training, counseling, and discipline.
* Ensures proper ordering, receiving, and storage of all food items in refrigerators, freezers, and dry food storage to maintain product freshness.
* Properly rotates food products in order to keep spoilage and waste to a minimum.
* Ensures that all equipment in work area is properly cleaned and sanitized.
* Performs other duties as required, e.g., special orders/buffet presentations.
* Schedules appropriate number of staff according to daily needs of restaurant functions and weekly forecasts.
* Thorough working knowledge of cold food preparation.
* Good working knowledge of accepted safety and sanitation standards.
* Extensive experience with slicers, mixers, grinders, food processors, etc.
* Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, requisition amounts, and portion sizes.
* Ability to read, write, and understand the English language in order to complete requisitions, read recipes, and communicate with other associates.
* Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e., knives, spoons, spatulas, togs, slicers, etc.
* Ability to grasp, lift, and/or carry, or otherwise, move or push goods on a hand cart/truck weighing a maximum of 200 lbs. on a continuous schedule.
* Ability to perform duties in confined spaces within extreme temperature ranges.
* High school diploma preferred. Culinary or apprenticeship program preferred.
* Minimum of two years experience in a supervisory and management position in a similar size operation. 2-3 years as a chef de partie, and lead cook prior to management required.
* Create specials from items not being used.
* Assist in Control of food waste.