Lobby Lounge Assistant Manager
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto
Location: CA - ON - Toronto
Through consistent application of Shangri-La’s Core Practices and effective hands-on management, leadership and direction, ensure the highest quality standards of the restaurant operations; maximizing the balance between Colleague, Guest and Owner satisfaction. With high integrity, ensures a 5 diamond/5 star experience to guests and leads Colleagues in providing Shangri-La hospitality from a caring family.
- Interact with guests to review and evaluate degree of satisfaction with the F&B Outlets. especially Lobby Lounge; recommend and implement new initiatives when necessary to keep up with demand and market changes; investigate and resolve beverage or food quality and service complaints, ultimately maximize profits through outstanding customer service.
- Through personal presence, style and personality, inspire a high level of warmth and professionalism amongst the service team, modeling a genuine personal commitment to service excellence and an emotional sense of gracious hospitality.
- Participate in recruitment, and assist with managing Colleagues and effectively coach, train, motivate, communicate, recognize, schedule, provide performance feedback, maintain high levels of team spirit and conduct performance correction if required.
- Assist the Department Head in leading the day-to-day operation through hands-on personal involvement, provide input and implement strategies to effectively manage productivity, labor, beverage and food costs to maximize GOP.
- Together with the relevant Department Heads, evaluate restaurant profitability, develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancement measures.
- Work with the relevant Department Heads to manage the operation’s ambiance, style, music, events and overall presentation.
- Maintain expert knowledge of wines and other beverages and up-to-date knowledge of local restaurants, lounges, food trends and industry practices.
- Evaluate standards of cleanliness, maintenance and presentation plus safety of the outlets through inspections and ensures areas of deficiency are resolved to achieve service expectations.
- Direct communication efforts within the department, ensuring effective communication amongst Colleagues, suppliers, attendance at meetings and ensures that reports are completed accurately, on-time.
- Establish an annual promotion and menu plan with the F&B and Sales & Marketing management teams, including concepts for annual entertainment, festive season(s) and outlet operations.
The following is considered mandatory for this position:
- Drive results – Passion for food and strive to exceed expectations for service excellence with demonstrated understanding of international fine dining, wine and service standards commensurate the leading hotels in high profile cities in the world
- Customer Service Excellence – People focused and totally guest centered
- Detail oriented – Strong organization skills, ability to prioritize workload, multi-task in a calm manner, with exceptional attention to detail
- Financial competence –Demonstrate knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, productivity analysis and labor costing, inventory management/controls techniques, SL operational elements, and operate within established hotel practices, policies and core practices
- Communication – Excellent communication skills, 100% fluency in English with added ability to be an effective role model in standards of conduct and grooming
- Innovation, creativity, decision making and problem solving – Proven innovator, respond promptly and reasonably when making decisions, ultimately ensuring successful problem resolution
- Safety Focus – Demonstrate safe work practices and look for ways to minimize workplace injuries
- Exceptional leadership - Inspire employee commitment, loyalty and motivation though progressive workplace practices that foster teamwork, open communication, safety, respect, sincerity, helpfulness, courtesy and humility
- Coach and mentor – Foster a climate of continuous learning, growth and improvement, with a strong commitment to the career development of others
- Emotional maturity - Internally proud, outwardly gracious and humble with demonstrated ability to maintain professional composure under pressure
- Ethical conduct and responsibility – Set a positive example and fulfills responsibilities with the highest integrity, ethics and professionalism
- Technology proficiency– Operate and maintain all departmental equipment, fully competent with POS, current Windows based programs (Word, Excel, MS Outlook)
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto is compliant with its obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and will provide reasonable accommodation in the application and interview process for this position upon request.
- Minimum 3 years experience, plus minimum 2 year previous work experience in a similar capacity in an international world-class luxury setting, mandatory.
- Previous high quality restaurant or hotel experience essential or comparable experience with key competitor.
- Degree or diploma in Food and Beverage/Hospitality Management (complete or in progress).
- Required to work a varierty of shifts so flexibility in schedule is key (early mornings, nights, weekends, and/or holidays).
- Current Smart Serve certification.
- Must be in possession of valid Canadian work permit to be eligible to be considered.