A career with Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group opens up a wealth of exciting opportunities for you, both now and for your future development. Our vision is to be widely recognised as the best luxury hotel group in the world. The Group is renowned for creating a culture that provides a motivating and rewarding environment in which to thrive.
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award winning owner and operator of some of the worlds' finest hotels. The Group operates luxury hotels in key leisure and business destinations. In total Mandarin Oriental employs 12,000 colleagues in three continents with 13 hotels in Asia, 6 in North America and 10 in Europe.
Mandarin Oriental, Boston
An intimately luxurious hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Boston combines classic New England elegance with refined Oriental touches to create one of the most distinctive hospitality experiences in the region. Awarded both Forbes Five-Stars and AAA Five-Diamonds, Mandarin Oriental, Boston features 136 of the city's most spacious and luxurious guestrooms and 12 sumptuous suites with 10,000 square feet of exquisite meeting and event facilities including a 380-seat ballroom and executive boardroom, all offering floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Boston's Back Bay. The Hotel offers a 16,000 square foot Spa offering a holistic approach to wellness, combining Asian healing philosophies with ingredients unique to New England, as well as our signature restaurant Bar Boulud, a French-inspired bistro and wine bar from internationally acclaimed Chef Daniel Boulud. Just a short 15-minute drive from Logan International Airport, Mandarin Oriental, Boston connects guests to the city's finest shopping, cultural venues and business institutions from its prime location in the heart of Boston's chic Back Bay on Boylston Street.
The incumbent is responsible for the safety and security of all guests, employees and visitors of Mandarin Oriental, Boston and the protection of all hotel assets.
Scope of Position
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Director of Food & Beverage, and within the limit of established policies, procedures and Food and Beverage Manual, assist in overseeing and directing all aspects of Food and Beverage operation. To report daily to the Director of Food & Beverage. To provide functional assistance and direction to the Food and Beverage operation.
The In Room Dining Manager will report directly to the Director of Food & Beverage.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Major responsibilities:
- Complete detailed checks of the entire Food and Beverage operation during all service periods taking necessary actions to correct any deviation from quality standards - Foster positive thinking and motivation within all Food and Beverage outlets by giving active assistance and advice on more effective ways of running the outlets - Plan in conjunction with the Director of Food & Beverage and outlet Managers activities, promotions, menu implementations according to the annual marketing plans - Ensure that all designated action points from daily briefings or bi-monthly operational meetings are being followed by the individuals concerned - Ensure that positive working relations with non Food and Beverage departments are fostered giving cooperation at all times - Be aware of and comply with all legislation affecting the operation, including licensing regulations, health regulations and fire and safety regulations - Assist the Director of Food & Beverage in compiling the annual marketing plans and budgets - Cooperate with and drive forward the implementations of Mandarin Oriental Legendary Service Training in the In Room Dining team with direct follow up with Director of Food & Beverage.
- Ensure disciplinary procedures are properly adhered to and followed - Participate in weekly inspections of kitchens and outlets with minuted follow-ups - Carry out projects and assignments as requested by the Executive Director of Food & Beverage, i.e. wine lists, beverage lists, etc. - Handle customer comments and complaints and take swift corrective action after consultation with the Director of Food & Beverage and department head concerned - Prepare and control wine and beverage lists - Conduct daily inspections to observe operational standards and difficulties and follow up with Director of Food & Beverage
- Be responsible for and accountable for the departmental operating budget - Find ways to improve the efficiency of the operations; of maximizing and increasing sales and/or yield; of reducing costs without affecting the level of service or product - Propose and initiate when approved, new services and products for our guests - Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the department head from time to time
Requirement on Core Competencies
The incumbent will require the following personal attributes:
- Delighting our Clients
- Display a superior service orientation to our guests
- Anticipate and understand the needs of our guests
- Respond effectively to guests and internal customer needs
- Display a professional attitude
- Working with Colleagues
- Promoting a Climate of Enthusiasm
- Display a service orientation to our Colleague needs
- Respond effectively to Colleague needs
- Display a professional attitude to our Colleagues.
- Maintain high energy and drive
- Provide frequent and individualized recognition to staff
- Being the Best
- Delivering Shareholder Value
- Promote continuous improvement within the department.
- Continuously maintain the competitive edge of our competitive set in technology and human resources.
- Maximize profits by minimizing losses.
- Maximize a profitable return to our owners.
- Exercise effective cost control.
- Playing by the Rules
- Acting with Responsibility
- Set example for all to follow and not being the exception to the rules.
- Accept responsibility for compliance with rules and regulations.
- We will actively participate in the improvement of the environment, just as we will be responsible members of our communities and industry organizations.
Educational level: Degree in Hotel Management or Business Administration preferred Work experience: - Minimum 8 years working experience with at least 5 years of Food and Beverage experience - Minimum 2 years working experience in a 5 star hotel operation in a similar capacity Job knowledge: - Experience in developing strategic business and/or Food and Beverage plans - Experience in Bench-marking activities - Experience in Food and Beverage budget preparation, profit and loss statement analysis and forecasting - Experience in Food and Beverage capital expenditure preparation - Experience in the administration of Food and Beverage promotions - Excellent forward planning and decision making skills - Experience in performance Management - Experience in dealing with a multi-cultural environment and people oriented - Experience in developing teams and individuals - Experience in quality driven projects - Experience in change Management - Strong background on Food and Beverage cost control - Strong background on Food and Beverage technical knowledge - Excellent leadership skills - Excellent organisational skills - Good analytical (ref. 50079)