Human Resources Manager
Embassy Suites Newark/Wilmington-South
Location: US - DE - Newark
Newark, DE, US 19713
Assists in the development, implementation and administration of all human resource functions, including recruitment, training and development, benefit administration and associate relations activities, relating to all hotel personnel.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
• Direct and instruct the management staff in effective recruiting through the PM Hotel Group resources and interviewing techniques, using methods such as verbal presentations and written directions, to ensure the hiring and retention of qualified and efficient associates. Conduct interviews for all management positions.
• Ensure that associates are developed and utilized to their maximum potential by controlling the implementation, administration and monitoring of all training programs. Instruct training classes, analyze and review current and proposed methods, consult with and make recommendations to the management staff for improvement.
• Monitor the associate performance appraisal program. Read and analyze evaluations and goals to ensure appraisal comments are appropriate and goals are measurable and achievable. Direct and administer associate relations programs and activities such as associate recognition and service award ceremonies, social functions and general hotel meetings to maintain a positive associate relations climate.
• Develop, implement and administer policies and programs related to the management of all hotel personnel to ensure the maintenance of a positive and productive employment environment. Monitor same for fair and consistent application.
• Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws and regulations which pertain to human resources by reviewing current management practices, implementing new procedures and communicating verbally and in writing any new requirements. Oversee compliance with Affirmative Action Plan.
• Provide assistance, guidance and counseling to the General Manager, management staff and associates in order to maximize the quality and professionalism of the hotel staff by listening and interpreting concerns and objectives and seeking solutions.
• Control the administration of wages and benefits to ensure the accurate and equitable application of same, analyzing and applying information retrieved from moderately complex reports, manuals and/or computer systems.
• If applicable, manage all labor relations activities by administering union contracts and ensuring compliance. Respond to all grievances in writing, negotiate settlements and act as the hotel representative at all arbitrations.
• Coordinate all other pre-selection activities, including drug testing, reference checks, etc. to ensure compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
• Ensure all new hires and existing associates possess proper employment eligibility verifications.
• Communicate both verbally and in writing to provide clear direction to staff.
• Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
• Perform any other job-related duties as assigned.
Must have the ability to communicate in English. Self-starting personality with an even disposition. Maintain a professional appearance and manner at all times. Can communicate well with guests. Must be willing to “pitch-in” and help co- workers with their job duties and be a team player. Working knowledge of federal and local regulations relating to OSHA and worker's compensation. Thorough knowledge of human resources practices and procedures as well as considerable knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to human resource matters. Basic mathematical skills necessary to analyze reports, forecast, and prepare budgets. Ability to effectively deal with associates and external guests, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, resolve conflicts and collect accurate information. Ability to travel to training sessions, hearings, etc. held in the local area. Ability to supervise/direct both subordinate and non-subordinate personnel.
Our customers are what we are about. One of the keys to a positive guest experience is positive interaction with PM Hotel Group staff. It is essential that you remain professional at all times, and that you treat all guests and associates with courtesy and respect, under all circumstances. Every PM Hotel Group associate is a guest relations ambassador, every working minute of every day.
In order to maintain a positive guest and associate experience, your work habits should always meet and strive to exceed hotel standards for work procedures, dress, grooming, punctuality and attendance. You should be adaptable to change in your work area and in hotel procedures with a willingness to learn new skills and/or improve existing ones, have the ability to solve routine problems that occur on the job, and ask for help whenever you are not sure how to do something.
Safety & Security:
The safety and security of our guests and associates is of utmost importance to PM Hotel Group. Every PM Hotel Group associate should adhere to the hotel security policies and procedures, particularly regarding key controls, lifting heavy objects, using chemicals, and effectively reporting safety hazards and safety concerns.
This description excludes non-essential and marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of the fundamental job duties. Furthermore, the specific examples in each section are not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather, they represent the typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. Other job-related duties may be assigned by the associate’s supervisor.
Furthermore, this description is subject to change, at the sole discretion of the Company, and in no way creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise; each associate remains, at all times, an “at will” associate.