Req #: 5594BR
Job Title: Host
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
Location Name: Ritz Carlton Chicago
Iconic architecture, a thriving culinary scene, beautifully landscaped public spaces and an array of museums are just part of what draws visitors to the Windy City. At The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, a luxury hotel set atop Water Tower Place in the historic Gold Coast, guests will have every chance to explore the city, from shopping along Michigan Avenue to viewing famous works at the Art Institute. Yet with our hotel’s spa, rooftop lounge, locally inspired restaurant, indoor lap pool and spacious accommodations overlooking the city, guests may not want to leave the premises.
Recognized as “the gold standard” of hospitality, The Ritz-Carlton selects only the most passionate and skilled hospitality professionals. And as one of our Ladies and Gentlemen, you will reflect the values that make us the world’s finest luxury brand. Here, in a diverse environment where individual aspirations are fulfilled and quality of life is enhanced, you will be inspired to work alongside your fellow employees to bring special moments to life for our guests and each other.
Maintains an efficient and courteous restaurant operation by greeting arriving customers, seating, establishing rapport and assisting with restaurant service.
- Meets arriving guests as they enter restaurant with cordial greeting.
- Adheres/exceeds established service standards.
- Attends all pre-meal and departmental meetings in person in order to enhance communications and gain knowledge of products, service and facility
- Escorts to assigned tables, issues menus and solicits rapport in order to accommodate special needs or requests.
- Assigns sections and notifies servers of new seats in their section to ensure the customers receive immediate and proper attention. Provides servers with chits that provide the following: guest’s name and special requests.
- Maintains a highly visible appearance in restaurant during entire shift by remaining at the cashier station and periodically circulating through the restaurant in order to assist servers, to respond to any customer requests and to assess the efficiency of the operation for management.
- Completes any take-out orders, ensures the order is accurate and collects payment from the guest.
- Elicits feedback from departing guests on products and services in order to improve the operation to increase customer base and maximize revenues. Takes written notes in order to report comments to management.
- Maintains a clean and attractive restaurant by assisting with vacuuming, sweeping, general cleaning and side work duties.
- Checks the proper set-up of tables and seating prior to opening.
- Completes recap notes and emails to the management team on a shift by shift basis.
- Prints out a reservation sheet for the following day per shift & communicates all reservation notes.
- Immediately reports in writing any maintenance or housekeeping discrepancies to management.
- Exhibits a professional appearance and maintains a friendly, cheerful and courteous demeanor at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned, requested or deemed necessary by management.
Dealing with Ambiguity
Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Genuinely cares about people; is concerned about their work and non-work problems; is available and ready to help; is sympathetic to the plight of others not as fortunate; demonstrates real empathy with the joys and pain of others.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Relates well to all kinds of people – up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Must have high school graduate level mathematical aptitude, know standard cash handling procedures and knowledge of computerized cash register systems.
Must have general knowledge of basic customer service skills, restaurant operations, and food service principles. Must be fluent in oral and written English.
Must have vision ability to read written communiques, computer screens and print-outs, see colors and to survey entire room in dimly lit conditions.
Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing, follow written and verbal instruction, and work on more than one
task at a time. Must be able to use tact and understanding when dealing with a variety of customer service problems, including stressful and highly emotional situations. Must have hand and finger dexterity to handle coins and writing utensils, grasp handles, push buttons and carry dishes. Must have upper body strength to lift and carry trays and bus tubs weighing up to 10lbs. Must be able to stand throughout entire shift and to lift arms above head to retrieve objects from shelves.
High School diploma or equivalent
Previous experience of 3 months in a position with heavy cash handling responsibilities and customer service exposure.
Telephone, computerized cash register, credit card machines, and standard office equipment.
Standing and walking during entire shift, including carrying, lifting and bending. Indoor environment.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.