Guest Services Agent
New York-New York City
Entry Level Position?
Work Permit Needed?
Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in the United States will not be considered.
Highgate is a premier real estate investment and hospitality management company widely recognized as an innovator in the industry. Highgate is the dominant player in U.S. gateway markets including New York, Boston, Miami, San Francisco and Honolulu. Highgate also has an expanding presence in key European markets through properties in London, Paris, Barcelona, Vienna and Prague. Highgate's portfolio of global properties represents an aggregate asset value exceeding $10B and generates over $2B in cumulative revenues.
The company provides expert guidance through all stages of the hospitality property cycle, from planning and development through recapitalization or disposition.
Highgate also has the creativity and bandwidth to develop bespoke hotel brands and utilizes industry leading proprietary revenue management tools that identify and predict evolving market dynamics to drive out performance and maximize asset value. With an executive team consisting of some of the industry's most experienced hotel management leaders, the company is a trusted partner for top ownership groups and major hotel brands. Highgate maintains corporate offices in London, New York, Dallas and Seattle.
The Guest Service Agent is responsible for providing attentive, courteous and efficient service to all guests during check-in, throughout their stay, and at checkout, while maximizing room revenue and occupancy.
- Facilitate guest arrival including greeting, check-in, issuance of keys and confirmation of reservation details.
- Perform guest check-ins both behind the front desk as well as on a mobile device in the lobby based on business levels and needs.
- Escort guests to rooms and familiarize them with hotel services and amenities (hours/concepts of outlets, menu offerings, fitness facilities, etc.).
- Explain features of the room including operation of in-room technology (including tablet system), lighting, minibar and location of amenities.
- Facilitate guest departure including transportation assistance, settling of any guest folios and ascertaining guest satisfaction upon check-out.
- Handle incoming in-house and direct calls to the hotel.
- Maintain positive guest relations and execute/relay all requests made by the guests of the hotel to LQA standards as specified by Leading Hotels of the World.
- Handle all guest issues and feedback tactfully and efficiently, ensuring prompt resolution for the guest as well as effective internal follow up.
- Anticipate guest needs and wishes to both avoid potential glitches and provide the guest with a seamless luxury experience with the utmost discretion.
- Assist guests with safe deposit boxes.
- Maintain cleanliness of lobby lounge seating and tables being used for cafe and hotel guests.
- Relay accurate directions to guests on inquiries regarding destinations within local area, whether on paper map or mobile phone application.
- Maintain accurate knowledge of local attractions and activities to recommend for guest inquiries.
- Handle reservation calls as needed.
Front Office Operations
- Be able to perform night audit duties as needed.
- Resolve accounting issues and guest billing questions as needed.
- Perform additional duties or projects as requested by the Front Office Managers.
- Coordinate hotel operations as guest-employee and department-to-department intermediary and ensure follow up of all guest and manager requests to ensure utmost guest satisfaction at a luxury level. Lead by example to ensure and maintain a very high standard of personal hygiene, grooming and presentation.
- Ensure proper shift handover at all times with team members and, as needed, all other departments.
- Contribute to expanding Guest Recognition Program with all possible updated and relevant information, as well as update resolved glitches in internal system.
- Ensure that clear and detailed glitch reports are sent out to hotel staff promptly and efficiently.
- Ensure optimal inter departmental communication by updating all Front Office team on relevant information via email, internal memos and verbal communication.
- Be knowledgeable regarding the guidelines and procedures established in the Knickerbocker handbook.
- Ensure all reservation billing and credit card/direct billing authorizations are set up and charged properly and according to hotel standards and guest requests during times when Management or reservations is unable to perform this task.
- Strictly adhere to all department financial practices and internal accounting procedures at all times.
- Manage individual banks for financial transactions on a daily basis according to Accounting SOPs, maintaining an accurate bank count at all times.
Miscellaneous Departmental Responsibilities
- Scheduled daily activities
- Daily arrivals, departures, hotel occupancy
- Features and services provided by the hotel
- Hours of operation of hotel facilities and outlets
- Parking facilities, layout, hours of operation, prices and procedures
- Actively practice hospitality at all times approaching all encounters with guests and associates in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend daily stand up, and any departmental meetings and general sessions as needed.
- Complete daily shift checklist in timely and thorough manner and submit to manager on duty for review.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and compliance with all hotel and departmental policies and procedures.
- Review Front Office and Trace File daily.
- Practice radio etiquette at all times.
- Be aware of all rates, packages, and special promotions at the hotel.
- Show guestrooms and suites as needed and emphasize the hotel’s amenities to in-house or potential guests.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness and organization of all work areas rectify/report any defects and safety hazards to front office leadership or concerned department.
- Lead by example to ensure and maintain a very high standard of personal hygiene, grooming and presentation.
- Successfully complete all training certifications during initial training and beyond.
Education & Experience
- Experience in hospitality industry in similar position, luxury property preferable.
- Degree in hotel management/hospitality administration preferable.
- Knowledge of foreign language preferable.
- Flexible and long hours sometimes required.
- Heavy work - Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 50 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand during entire shift.
- Ability to communicate in English, verbally and written, with guests and fellow associates.
- Ability to provide directions.
- Knowledge of New York Metropolitan area and public transit systems.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays, evenings and overnights.
- Ability to work overnight shifts per week as required if selected as overnight agent or relief overnight agent.
- Ability to work adjacent (“back to back”) shifts as business requires.
- Ability to train, understand and work with Opera, HotSOS and other hotel software.
- Excellent guest relations skills.
- Be familiar with hospitality terminology.
- Ability to interact with guests effectively and in a courteous manner.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Ability to understand guest inquiries and provide empowered responses.
- Ability to focus on guest’s needs.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and make good judgments.
- Ability to remain stationary at assigned post when required.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle different tasks at the same time.
- Ability to ensure security of vehicles and hotel property.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Ability to work cohesively with fellow associates as part of a team.
- Ability to attend trainings, provided and retain and apply gained knowledge.
- Ability to provide a warm, welcoming and courteous arrival and departure experience.