Responsible for planning meals, procurement of food supplies and kitchen equipment, production of meals, supervising and coordinating the work of the kitchen personnel, assuring that food preparation is economical and technically correct complying with all BHI and IHG quality standards. Should have a working knowledge of all-applicable health, sanitation and licensing ordinances.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan Meals - Creation of menus considering probable number of guests, marketing conditions, popularity of various dishes, recent menus, and religious or other holidays. Each menu item to have appropriate item cost analysis completed, including daily features. Appropriate Menu engineering worksheets to be completed utilizing the food and beverage point of sale system for accurate item analysis. Regular menu changes to be executed in line with the Hotel policy. Creates, communicates and distributes appropriate information to Employees to execute menu production. Posts a copy of menu in conspicuous place in kitchen, or distributes a copy to all appropriate Employees.
- Production of meals - Check methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions, and garnishing of foods by tasting or smelling them. Production should be in line with current culinary trends.
- Assure that all prime cuts of meat are broken down properly by weight, that the waste in trimming prime cuts is minimized, and that meat scraps are properly utilized and the fat is retained for rendering.
- Inspect the portion sizes and taste qualities of all items to ensure they are being properly prepared.
- Schedule must meet the forecasting deadlines set forth by F&B Director.
- Employees Approaching Overtime report: Use the Employees Approaching Overtime report to watch the employees hours day to day to ensure that no overtime will occur.
- Procure food supplies and kitchen equipment as per Company standards of purchasing and the Hotel’s specifications. Organize inventory of all food items including current pricing for each inventory. Organize inventory of kitchen equipment with detailed maintenance logs. Provide recommendations for capital improvements through the annual business planning process.
- Consult with Private Event Director, Maitre d' and Hotel Manager concerning unusual cooking and serving arrangements and the need for additional employees.
- Hire, train, and develop each heart of the house Employee using the ONEUp service elements and other appropriate training as needed. Continually oversee heart of the house food preparation and presentation capitalizing on Hotel guest and market trends.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining item cost analysis sheets in required spreadsheet form and assigning such prices to food items that will result in net profit for the heart of the house in line with the Hotel's business plan.
- Required to meet budgetary guidelines for food cost, labor cost, and miscellaneous costs. Also assist department to drive food and beverage gross revenues.
- Conduct inventory each financial period or weekly as per Company standards.
- Inspect all storage areas to insure that the best sanitation possible is maintained and that all equipment is functioning properly.
- Responsible for maintaining adequate training programs for kitchen personnel.
- Ensure that the kitchen is prepared to start service on a timely basis.
- Ensure that orders received from servers are clearly understood so that "returns" due to faulty preparation are minimized.
- Ensure that plates issued to servers are garnished properly and have good eye appeal.
- Ensure that plates and utensils used are clean.
- Inspect all equipment for proper maintenance and report deficiencies to Engineering.
- Ensure that an adequate supply of equipment is available.
- Ensure that the food served in the employees' cafeteria is palatable, in abundant supply and varied; and that facility is maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
- Remain alert, courteous and helpful to the guests at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Food & Beverage Director or General Manager.
- Prefer a minimum of 3-5 years as executive chef supporting the items listed in this job description. Personal Luxury or 5 star restaurant experience preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
- STATE CERTIFIED TRAINER SERVSAFE
- HEALTH AND SANITATION CARD AS PER STATE REQUIREMENTS.
- FOODSERVICE MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATION AS PER STATE REQUIREMENTS
*This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
Candidates must be willing to submit to background check upon offer of position. EOE/AAP M/F/D/V