the ART, a hotel
Preferred Hotels and Resorts
Preferred Hotel Group is a global collection of independent hotels, destination resorts, city center hotels, luxury residences and unique hotel groups. Our unparalleled service, consistent commitment to excellence and innovative business solutions are the cornerstones upon which we have built our reputation as a global leader in the hospitality industry since 1968.
Located in the true heART of downtown Denver, the ART a hotel is the city’s newest luxury boutique hotel. Within arm’s reach of the State Capital, Supreme Court / Judicial Center, Denver ART Museum, History Colorado Center and the center of the Business Community, the ART is an intimate expression of the contemporary luxury lifestyle.
It is the main focus of this position that the incumbent will take full responsibility for the management, mystique and leadership and ensure smooth running of all food operations and maintain state health and luxury standards within plan and culinary areas.
Scope of Position
Daily communication between all Culinary/F&B/operational department is very essential. Internal & external communication is of utmost importance. Respect and communication will promote an excellent environment in which to work and will provide for your guests a welcome feeling. You are expected to be a "team player," anticipate guest needs and provide guests & colleagues with a friendly experience. Work with cooperation to achieve our Goals.
The Executive Chef reports to the AGM while overseeing the culinary operation in major areas of the hotel operations.
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
- Lead and provide essential vision to the culinary operation. Deliver quality products and services to guests and satisfaction to the colleagues though learning and development, team building and interaction. The Executive Chef is responsible for multiple outlet operation as well as financial responsibilities to our shareholders and corporate offices.
- Prepare in accordance with quality, availability and seasonality and ensure market lists are completed on a daily and weekly basis.
- Plan, coordinate and supervise all menu planning and implementation.
- Ensure food standards and presentation are maintained and always improved.
- Organize food production in a cost effective and hygienic manner.
- Assist the Purchasing Department with the purchase of all food items and kitchen equipment.
- Be responsible for recruitment, training and discipline of kitchen staff.
- Constantly strive to improve operating procedures.
- Be responsible for and accountable for the departmental operating budget.
- Find ways to improve the efficiency of the operations that will benefit our clients.
- Find ways of maximizing and increasing sales and/or yield (in revenue centers).
- Find methods of reducing costs without affecting the level of service or product received by the guests.
- Propose and initiate when approved, new services and products for our guests.
- Oversees discipline of culinary employees.
- Control food cost by maintaining food standards at reasonable cost through liaison with the Purchasing Department to check prices, market price fluctuation, quality, etc.
- Use the Employee Handbook in understanding the consistent way of Communicating Rules & Regulation to our Team.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures.
- Review and revise job descriptions for the culinary team in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Conduct Daily meetings (lineups) with team.
- Controlling & being accountable to the effort in achieving both Food & Labor Cost Goal.
- Weekly Schedules approval process.
- Daily Payroll correction, include final payroll submitting.
- Forecasting/Weekly/Monthly/Actual versus Forecast.
- 8+ years' experience in culinary operations (luxury hotel specific culinary operations or like operations).
- 4+ years management experience as a Restaurant Chef, Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef (luxury hotel specific management experience or like operations).
- Bachelor's degree in Culinary Arts and/or Culinary Degree is preferred.
- HAACP and Serv Safe Certification preferred.
- Must possess demonstrated knowledge and experience with the following culinary operations areas: Banquets, All Day Dining Restaurant, Signature Dining Restaurant, Lobby Lounge and In Room Dining.
- Deeply seasoned expertise in menu planning, writing, costing; thorough and well-developed food and beverage knowledge across various global regions and cuisines is required.
- Prior experience managing kitchen equipment and maintenance; strong knowledge of food safety and handling is required.
- Must be computer proficient with MS Office and other food & beverage specific software applications.
- Prior experience managing payroll and staffing function; training plans; succession and workforce planning, etc. is required.
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in English required.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job to include standing/walking for extended periods while on shift; lift/carry/push/pull 25+ lbs.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to accomplish all business goals including early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays