The Dunes Manor Hotel
Location: US - MD - Ocean City
REPORTS TO: Director of Food and Beverage
SUPERVISES DIRECTLY: All Culinary Staff and Stewards
Purpose for the Position: To supervise and execute all food purchasing and preparation for all food service outlets and events ensuring standards are maintained as set forth by management.
- Provides professional and courteous service at all times.
- Supervises food preparation staff: hiring, terminations, disciplinary actions, performance evaluations and development.
- Schedules all associates under his/her supervision, maintaining adequate staffing levels while adhering to labor standards guidelines.
- Supervises all cooking operations, including methods, portioning, and garnishing.
- Manages physical maintenance of the kitchen/service areas and maintains standards.
- Plans meals and develops menu.
- Prepares and serves tasting meals and chef's tables in the kitchen
- Immediately upon the conclusion of plate-up operations for a banquet, walk the ballroom to personally assess the satisfaction of the host (s) and high profile attendees.
- Reviews all recipes regularly to ensure maximum profitability.
- Assists the sales staff with the planning of banquets, parties and other special events.
- Requisitions food and equipment, giving specifications, quantities and quality descriptions.
- Performs inventory and purchasing duties as required.
- Receives and checks foodstuffs and supplies for quality and quantity.
- Ensures attractive presentation of all food and dishes.
- Ensures a variety of menu items offering local and seasonal specialties.
- Prevents the spoiling and the contamination of foods by enforcing proper sanitation practices and ensuring compliance with hotel policy and health regulations.
- Assists in the developing the annual operating budget.
- Monitors budget.
- Cooks and otherwise prepares food according to recipes.
- Accommodates visitor's requests for special food items.
- Acts as Manager on Duty as scheduled.
- Conducts monthly department meetings.
- Attends weekly staff meetings.
- Completes projects as determined by the Director of Food and Beverage.
To do this kind of work, you must be able to:
- Think logically to make decisions.
- Interpret information in mathematical, written and diagram form, such as statistical reports, profit and loss statements, financial statements and credit regulations.
- Understand the effect policies and economic trends will have on organization's plans.
- Continually make decisions based on experience and personal feelings as well as on facts and figures.
- Speak to large groups such as the Chamber of Commerce, etc.
- Deal with all kinds of people ranging from civic leaders to associates and from legislators to the general public.
- Speak and write clearly and with authority.
- Be available for work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Physical Demands: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 lbs. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, talking, hearing, seeing.
Environmental Conditions: Inside: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. A job is considered "inside" if the worker spends approximately 75% or more of the time inside.
Extremes of Heat Plus Temperature Changes:
Extremes of Heat: Temperature sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort unless the worker is provided with exceptional protection.
Temperature Changes: Variations in temperature which are sufficiently marked and abrupt to cause noticeable bodily reactions.
Math Skills: Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: Compute discount, interest, profit and loss, commission, markups and selling price, ratio and proportion, and percentages. Calculate surface, volumes, weights and measures.
Language Skills: Must have developed language skills to the point to be able to: Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc. Write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech. Speak with poise, voice control and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
Relationships to Data, People and Things:
Data: Coordinating: Determining time, place and sequence of operations or action to be taken on the basis of analysis of data; executing determination and/or reporting on events.
People: Speak-Signaling: Talking with and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving assignments and/or directions to helpers or assistants.
Things: Precision Working: Using body members and/or tools or work aids to work, move, guide or place objects or materials in situations where ultimate responsibility for the attainment of standard occurs and selection of appropriate tools, objects or materials and the adjustment of the tool to the task require exercise of considerable judgment.
Specific Vocational Preparation: Specific vocational training includes an occupationally significant combination of: vocational education, apprentice training, in-plant training, on-the-job training, or essential experience in less responsible jobs which lead to the higher job or serving in other jobs. Over 4 years up to and including 10 years. A 2-year culinary degree preferred.