Executive Chef (Cooking School)
Mansion on Forsyth Park
Location: US - GA - Savannah
Purpose / Objective
The overall objective and purpose of the Cooking School Chef is to instruct and facilitate entertaining cooking classes for guests, tourists, locals and groups. The Chef is responsible for creating exciting classes and menus that meet the Kessler standards of culinary excellence, conducting all food preparation and ensuring a profitable program with a high level of guest satisfaction.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities / Tasks
Primary duties, responsibilities, and tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop menus and wine pairings that meet the Kessler Collection standards of excellence.
- Provide an exceptional guest experience that is second to none.
- Interact with guests, ensuring their needs are being met and expectations exceeded.
- Purchase, inventory and stock food and supplies for the cooking school, including items for retail sale.
- Schedule classes and maintain website, marquees and class calendars.
- Ensure that all preparation for functions and classes are completed.
- Ensure food quality control.
- Maintain focus on cleanliness to ensure adherence to all pertinent health codes, laws and brand standards.
- Maintain and organize coolers and storage areas.
- Work closely with the Food and Beverage and Sales leaders to ensure the success of the cooking school operations and activities.
- Participate in and submit accurate food inventories on monthly basis per direction of hotel controller and General Manager.
- Assist in monitoring revenue and expense forecasting related to the cooking school
- Assist in production of menus, food products, order scheduling and receiving to ensure proper execution of culinary offerings and proper par levels.
- Be familiar with and adhere to company product and food specifications.
- Be a pro-active leader who is constantly looking for new and more effective ways of improving products, service and profitability
- Provide enriching experiences for Grand Performers through coaching and teaching.
- Attend all meetings deemed necessary by General Manager and Human Resources.
- Follow prescribed safety and sanitation standards at the highest possible levels.
- No direct reports
Minimum Qualifications (Education, License, Certifications, Experience)
- Culinary School Degree - required
- 5+ years of culinary experience in an upscale environment - required
- 2+ years culinary instructional experience - preferred
- Maintain a valid driver’s license – required
- Food Safety Certification - required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s)
- Advanced knowledge of food preparation practices
- Proven ability to prepare wide range of culinary offerings
- Intermediate knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook as well as POS (point of sale) systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to project professional demeanor, positive attitude and well-groomed appearance.
- Ability to maintain and build relationships with Grand Performers, existing and potential clients and industry contracts
- Proven ability to work under pressure with a highly flexible schedule
- Push, pull, lift and hang up to 50lbs including but not limited to curating and hanging over sized artwork, installations and sculptures.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit, stoop, bend and crouch on a daily basis.
- Reach with hands and arms, use fingers to handle or feel.
- Inspect details visually in person or via computer.
Work Environment / Conditions
- Candidate must be comfortable working in a shared space, with constant noise, without the use of a private office.
- Candidate must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism & collaboration.
- Schedules may vary from week to week based on business demands, team availability and performance, with or without notice.
- This position frequently interacts in person, email and phone, with guests, vendors, artists, corporate executives and property level leadership.