Req # 3120BR
Job Title Engineer
Position Type Full Time - Regular
Location Name Hotel Commonwealth Boston
Why Us Unscripted Honest Hospitality
At Hotel Commonwealth, we begin with a simple premise. We take cues from each guest to help define how we can be distinctly ‘of service’ to them – it’s a guest-changing philosophy that doesn’t live in a manual, but rather within the DNA of our brand. Unscripted hospitality plays out daily in all we do. It empowers our employees to provide incomparable, authentic service. And it has earned Hotel Commonwealth the distinction of being Boston’s most beloved hotel on Trip Advisor for three consecutive years.
The Maintenance Engineer assists in the maintenance, repair, refurbishment, renovation, remodeling and general upkeep in order to keep the facility functional and attractive to prospective customers.
This position will require flexible availability
- Completes assigned work orders for general repair within assigned time frame in order to achieve the utmost
operational efficiency of the hotel, its safety and its equipment.
- Performs systematic checks and inspections to aid in the upkeep of the hotel and assists in the established proactive maintenance program in order to prevent malfunctions, breakdowns and general depreciation.
- Immediately and courteously responds to guests needs in order to repair and/or resolve room maintenance requests and problems as they arise.
- Maintains tools, work spaces and equipment in safe, secure and good condition in order to reduce accidents and to prolong their use.
- Repairs and/or changes room locks for the security of hotel and guests.
- Adjusts and repairs electronic problems on hotel equipment, including televisions, alarm clocks, HVAC units, etc.
- Assists department in maintaining safety equipment and emergency procedures for the safety of all guests and associates.
- Maintains a friendly, cheerful and courteous manner at all times.
- All other duties as assigned, requested or deemed necessary by management.
- Removes snow and scoops sidewalks and driveways as weather dictates for safety of guests.
- Contacts, by telephone or written correspondence, electrical, plumbing and elevator contractors for repair/maintenance of hotel and its equipment.
- Runs errands as needed, driving own or company vehicle, in order to drop off and pick up supplies, equipment and furnishings.
- Provides assistance to other employees and departments to contribute to the best overall performance of the department and hotel.
Dealing with Ambiguity
Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Genuinely cares about people; is concerned about their work and non-work problems; is available and ready to help; is sympathetic to the plight of others not as fortunate; demonstrates real empathy with the joys and pain of others.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Relates well to all kinds of people – up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Working knowledge of general plumbing refrigeration air conditioning electrical systems boilers bathroom fixtures and tiling painting -prep to finish basic carpentry grounds keeping.
Ability to drive and holds a valid Class C state drivers license.
Have vision to read written communiques, LED read-outs, meters, and computer screens.
Have finger, hand and upper body dexterity to pull levers and rotate knobs, work with arms raised above head and to handle and assemble small parts using basic hand and power tools.
Ability to understand and follow verbal/written instructions, communicate both verbally and in writing, utilize analytical thought processes, understand verbal/written technical and mechanical instruction, and be highly organized.
Have ability to communicate effectively and courteously with employees, guests and contractors in writing, via telephone and in person.
Lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying required frequently to respond to service requests anywhere on property.
Frequent bending and kneeling required to perform inspections and repairs. 100% mobility required -must respond quickly to emergency.
Potential continuous standing may be required.
Climbing stairs of approximately 90 steps 20% of 8 hours.
Climbing ladders of approximately 8 feet 10% of 8 hours.
Driving -sometimes necessary to drive company pick-up truck/snow plow approximately 10% of time, unless snow emergency, then 100% of time.
High school diploma or equivalent trade school, special courses in building maintenance and construction.
A minimum of 6 months experience in equal or similar position.
Scheduled days and times may vary based on need.
Basis hand and power tools. Painting equipment, key cutting machine, grounds keeping equipment and snow removal equipment. Exposure to hazardous materials on a daily basis.
Chemicals/Agents used: Various chemicals 2-3 times per week. Regular chemicals: solvents, adhesives, paints. Protective clothing worn 100% of day; protective gloves worn approximately. Lifts and scaffolds.
Indoor exposure to both stable and extreme variance of hot and cold temperatures. Outside exposure to all weather elements and extreme fluctuations of temperature. Prolonged standing, walking, bending, reaching, and heavy lifting.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.