Stanford's Corporate Culture
Stanford Hotels Corporation is a mid-size, owner-operated company that specializes in the development and management of high quality, full service hotels using a variety of franchise brands. The corporate office is located in San Francisco; however, Stanford Hotels has 13 properties throughout the U.S. comprising three top global brands including Marriott, Starwood and Hilton.
Our goal is to be the "Best of the Brand." Since 1985, Stanford Hotels Corporation believes that high-quality properties, exceptional customer satisfaction, and engaged employees set Stanford Hotels apart from the rest.
The Hilton Santa Clara is seeking a Director of Sales and Marketing to join our great team and enjoy all the benefits of our exciting hotel environment! Come be part of one of the finest Santa Clara Four Diamond Hotels featuring 280 rooms in the heart of Silicon Valley next to the San Francisco 49'ers Levis Stadium, Great America Amusement Park and Santa Clara Convention Center.
The DOSM is responsible for the overall operations of sales and marketing. Emphasis is on attaining the hotel goals of maximum revenue and profit while providing the guest with the highest level of quality service. Develops marketing plans, sales quotas and forecasts. Also responsible for soliciting and servicing business in the hotel in accordance with the marketing plan and assigned market segments. Generates a high profile and quality perception in the marketplace. Supervises and develops the sales and catering team.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
SALES AND MARKETING
- Develop pricing and market strategies with the General Manager and Revenue Manager, constant monitoring of competition and marketplace in general; must be prepared and able to react under fluctuating market conditions.
- Prepare and execute annual marketing plan, promotion and advertising plans covering sales, food and beverage events, hotel promotions, media relations as well as participating in multiple property campaigns.
- Design plans and materials for promotions and public relations.
- Meet or exceed pre-determined booking goals for guest room revenue; meet or exceed budgeted costs and revenue on a monthly average with the liberty to negotiate as needed on individual functions within established guidelines yet maintaining the overall revenue goals.
- Responsible for prompt handling (within the business day) of inquiry calls and monitoring the efficient flow of paperwork relative to confirming function details to the client.
- Compiles lists of prospective clients for use as sales leads based on information from newspapers, business directories and other sources.
- Solicit new and repeat guest room and meeting business. Maintain client base of key accounts and conventions. Determine the guests needs, space availability, and meeting details.
- Make outside sales calls and telemarket to obtain business. Also utilize site inspections and on-site luncheons to book business.
- Monitor pricing, service levels, facilities and function activities at competitive facilities to ensure the Hotel remains in a competitive position.
- Evaluate a potential piece of business for profitability and overall benefit to the Hotel.
- Have acquired knowledge with the ability to upsell clients, while promoting a level of service parallel to the luxury stature of the facility.
- Complete coordination of the Sales group functions; accurate and timely preparation of detailed Sales Contracts and Group Resumes as necessary to ensure a common quality understanding of what the client is to receive in terms of products and services. Review function contracts prior to distribution to client and hotel staff.
- Follows up on the progress of groups booked, such as room night pick up, rooming lists, cut off dates,
- Generate thank you notes to clients after functions with prompt follow up of negative client feedback as necessary.
- Follow up on bookings and solicit repeat business.
- Represent hotel in community affairs and industry related events.
- Prepares periodic sales reports.
- Prepare weekly activity report to include all financial booking performance and personal call reports for active solicitation performed.
- Hold a daily pre-shift meeting with staff prior to starting the dayreporting to stations.
- Be prepared for each daily activity and review any variations with management and staff.
- Work shifts are covered with adequate staff, ensure correct staffing during peak periods and high occupancy.
- Communicate daily with department managers and MOD to assure consistency and pass on pertinent information.
- Consistently monitor the performance of associates on an on-going basis and provide feedback. Reward, discipline and document associate performance and provide timely counseling. Address associate complaints and resolve problems.
- Supervise the staff and handle any associate situation.
- Select qualified, goal and service oriented individuals and develop these individuals with clear guidelines to associates.
- Ensure staff is properly groomed and uniformed at all times.
- Ensure work area cleanliness is maintained at all times.
- Maintain efficiency in the operation of the staff in a high standard of quality of service and courtesy, bringing total satisfaction to our guests and the hotel.
- Maintain close control and inventory of uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
- Prepare and post weekly schedules in accordance to guest needs and staff availability.
- Conduct frequent hospitality audits to ensure the staff are conducting themselves in the manner appropriate for the department. Ensure Service Excellence Standards are in place.
- Maintain a complete and accurate set of logs.
- Prepare and submit accident or injury reports when needed.
- Be a Team Player and encourage the teamwork attitude among staff.
- Ensure all guests who experience a problem receive an appropriate response, any promised compensation is delivered, and an appropriate follow up in a timely and professional manner.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Hotel policy and applicable laws.
- Plan, assign and direct work of associates.
- Prepare payroll.
- Promote open channels of communication between all hotel departments.
- Provide technical and sales expertise to Catering Managers, while fostering the open channel of communication between Sales and Catering Departments.
- Ensure all associates are safety conscious and trained in safe work practices.
- Have a thorough knowledge of hotel fire regulations and policy, accident reports, safety programs, and what the direct duties are in relation to each; ensure that all associates are properly trained in these procedures.
- Implement proper training program and control the training of the staff to top efficiency and in accordance with Marriott policies.
- Facilitate new hire training.
- Facilitate departmental training modules; continually monitor, evaluate, and revise training content to reflect changes in the process; address the needs identified by associates.
- Accountable for the financial performance of the department with emphasis on achieving or exceeding of predetermined booking goals.
- Prepare and control hotel budget for sales, promotions and advertising.
- Monitor departmental, payroll and supply expenses in accordance with budgetary goals.
- Prepare 30-60-90 Day Revenue Forecast on a monthly basis for presentation.
- Holds department meetings and attends inter-departmental meetings.
- Conduct inspections of work areas regularly and address items that need attention.
- Be familiar with the operating procedures of all other areas of the hotel, cooperating fully and in a friendly manner with those areas to assure customer satisfaction.
- Route associate commendations received from guests to the person responsible for assembling the daily packet.
- Notify management of any pertinent information related to shift activities.
- Determine the requirements for and the follow up on special groups, VIPs, etc.
- Follow supervisors instructions and complete all other duties as assigned.
- Participate in Hotel Manager on Duty Program.
SECONDARY JOB DUTIES:
- Responsible for overseeing technology in the sales and catering departments in conjunction with the Sr. Catering Manager.
- As needed, check banquet functions prior to guest arrival and make personal contact with client at the time of function with proper introduction of service staff who will handle the event
- Monitor physical condition of hotel and maintain quality standards of all equipment, uniforms and décor.
- Maintain active liaison with competitors regionally through personal contacts, professional and industry associations.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Senior Sales Manager or 3 years experience as a Director of Sales at a full service property that has at least 150 guest rooms and 5,000 square feet of meeting space.
- High school graduate.
- Bachelors degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have at least 2 years computer experience in Microsoft Word and Excel in Windows.
- Must be able to type 30+ wpm.
- Prior experience with Delphi software preferred.
- Must possess a valid Driver's License and a clean driving record.
- Will be required to work mostly day shifts Monday-Friday with some nights and weekends depending on local and hotel functions.
- Will be required to travel to trade show and functions representing the hotel.
- Will participate in the Manager On Duty program as needed.
- Will participate in the Lobby Ambassador Program as needed.