The new Residence Inn by Marriott Calgary Downtown is currently under construction in downtown Calgary. It will bring 390 modern long-stay suites to Calgary’s downtown area. The hotel will cater to business and family leisure travellers looking for an extended-stay hotel as well as to groups and meeting attendees with a 10,000 sq. ft. Conference Centre. Guestrooms will feature full kitchens and separate living and sleeping areas and provide seamless connectivity to the home and office with complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi throughout, free hot breakfast daily, complimentary grocery delivery, 24-hour onsite food and beverage market, health and fitness options and comfortable public areas, including a terrace lounge and roof deck for relaxation and socializing.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Sales functions as the leader for the hotel’s sales department. This individual oversees and manages both the reactive and proactive sales efforts and provides leadership to the sales team to achieve revenue objectives and booking goals , while also managing the sales and marketing budget, planning and implementing sales and marketing strategies and tactics to achieve goals.
To include, but not be limited to the following:
- Provides inspiring leadership and oversee overall sales activities for the hotel sales team.
- Champions the sales culture within the hotels among associates and managers.
- Maintains and promotes a team work environment with effective and clear communication.
- Effectively implements Marriott, Atlific and hotel standards.
- Manages Marriott and hotel sales related systems.
- Engages with Marriott team ensuring the hotel complies with all brand sales and marketing programs and initiatives.
- Represents the hotel at Marriott and Atlific events, and sales related activities.
- Directs sales activities, measures progress, and adjusts plans to drive business.
- Participates in sales calls with Sales team to acquire and close new business.
- Coaches and supports sales team creating an effective dynamic team.
- Manages performance to achieve the desired mix and sales goals, conducting performance appraisals for sales team and implement actions as required.
- Works closely with revenue management team to maintain a balance between occupancy, mix, and rate to achieve budgeted RevPar.
- Establishes and adjust rates by monitoring supply and demand, costs and competition.
- Develops and manages sales budget, expenses, flow through and recovery to generate maximum returns.
- Develops and manages marketing budget; property specific campaigns, promotions and collateral to drive revenue and meet objectives.
- Ensures cost control and budgeted expenses are met; approves master bills, VIP gifts, complimentary rooms, etc.
- Evaluates business/sales goals, market opportunities, and available resources to generate profitable strategies.
- Implements and maintains a strategic sales & marketing plan and SMART action plan to generate top line revenues to meet or exceed annual budget expectations.
- Conducts account and market research to develop and implement effective sales strategies for each market segment and grow occupancy and market share; researches competition’s sales strategies.
- Provides customer intelligence evaluating the market and economic trends that may lead to changes in sales strategy to meet or exceed expectations.
- Reviews data benchmarking report (STR), competitive shopping and other resources as it relates to hotel’s market position and works with industry tools such as Agency 360 to shift identified market share.
- Champions Social Media efforts to ensure effective and dynamic messaging.
- Works closely with Atlific and Marriott to maximize hotel revenue and exceed budgets.
- Engages with Atlific and Marriott contacts for all coaching, training and feedback.
- Conducts outside sales calls, telephone solicitation and site inspections to build relationships, aggressively target new business, and grow existing accounts.
- Attends industry events, educational workshops, trade shows, and company sponsored conferences after normal business hours.
- Participates in industry related clubs, societies, organizations and/or committees which may require attendance after normal business hours.
- Entertains business clients both on and off site always representing the hotel in a professional manner.
- Ensures all client interactions are documented in data base system; prepares and evaluates monthly reports to set required action plans.
- Assists with various assignments and/or projects as assigned by Management Company.
- Other duties as may be required.
- 5 years of demonstrated management experience in sales and marketing within the industry
- Marriott brand hotel experience considered an asset
- Post-secondary education in sales or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Computer literacy with Microsoft products (excel, word, group booking systems)
- Proven leader who can motivate and lead by example
- Highly energetic, aggressive self-starter and well developed sales skills including excellent negotiation, prospecting and presentation ability.
- Established industry contacts and knowledge of marketplace
- Strong organization skills and detail oriented
- Commitment to superior customer service
For interested parties, please submit your covering letter and resume to:
Arlene Wray, National Director of Sales, Western Canada @ email@example.com