Director of Sales
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto
Location: CA - ON - Toronto
Direct, motivate and lead the Sales team through implementation of effective sales strategies in line with overall hotel positioning. Work directly with the Revenue Management and Reservations teams to fully optimize rooms and food & beverage revenues, while maximizing the balance between Colleague, Guest and Owner satisfaction.
- With high integrity, lead and develop Sales Colleagues in delivering Shangri-La hospitality from caring people, according to brand standards.
- Inspire a high level of creativity, personal commitment to service excellence and an emotional sense of gracious hospitality, ensuring delivery of 5 diamond/5 star experiences to guests while optimizing all revenue opportunities.
- Develop, implement, monitor and recommend sales strategies, room rate mix, space release policies, contracts, catering segment mix, and pricing strategies to maximize occupancy and revenue from high potential leisure and corporate businesses.
- Analyze competitor data and industry trends and adjusts strategic plans accordingly.
- Participate in recruitment of Sales Colleagues and effectively train, recognize, schedule, provide performance feedback and conduct performance correction if required
- Motivate Sales Managers to achieve targeted goals through market research, online data, trade shows, journals and sales analysis.
- Work with Sales Managers to ensure proper coverage of key accounts, assist with site inspections, client entertainment, trade shows, and familiarization trips, as appropriate.
- Lead the Sales Team and utilize effective Customer Relationship Management techniques i.e. Delphi and other initiatives to build and maintain relationships for Shangri-La Toronto’s active and potential clienteles.
- Effectively direct communication efforts within department including contracts, proposals, and scripting for site inspections, maintain positive communication with other departments in the hotel, particularly collaborate with Revenue Management, Reservations, Rooms and F&B Divisions.
- Ensure compliance to all hotel policies, procedures and programs.
- Undertake other ad hoc related responsibilities, as required.
The following is considered mandatory for this position:
- Drives results – Strives for service excellence, is results driven, self motivated with high initiative, and strives to continually over achieve sales goals and targets.
- Sales Competence – Demonstrates sound understanding for the local business travel market, effective sales strategies for each market segment, vast knowledge of the core competition and luxury hotel standards.
- Analytical and detail oriented – Highly organized, able to strategize and execute plans, superior analytical and time management skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Financial acumen - Demonstrates financial acumen, including budgeting, metrics, financial analysis, understanding of financial models and analytical tools and able to perform highly complex mathematical calculations.
- Communication – 100 % fluency in English - verbal and written communication, displaying standards in line with Shangri-La expectations though appearance, manners, language and interactions.
- Decision-making and problem solving – Responds promptly and reasonably when making decisions, ultimately ensuring successful problem resolution.
- Exceptional leadership – Motivational leadership style, inspires employee commitment and loyalty though progressive practices that foster teamwork, open communication, safety, respect, sincerity, helpfulness, courtesy and humility.
- Coaches and mentors – Continually motivates a team to over achieve set goals, coaches for improvement, fosters a respectful climate of continuous learning, growth and improvement, with a strong commitment to the career development of others
- Relationship & Impression Management - Outstanding abilities to motivate, develop, build and maintain relationships and demonstrated ability to make a naturally positive, lasting impression that fosters high levels of customer loyalty.
- Emotional maturity - Internally proud, outwardly gracious and humble.
- Ethical conduct and responsibility – Sets a positive example and fulfills responsibilities with the highest integrity, ethics and professionalism.
- Technology proficiency– Fully competent with current Windows based programs, MS Office Products (Word/Excel/Access/Outlook/Power Point/Project), hotel reservations systems, sales contact management systems and property management systems.
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto is compliant with its obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and will provide reasonable accommodation in the application and interview process for this position upon request.
- Minimum 3 years previous work experience in a similar capacity with an international world-class hotel designated at no less than 5 stars, mandatory.
- Previous Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts experience highly preferred or comparable experience with key competitor.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- International travel 4-5 times yearly.
- Valid passport, with no restrictions.