Director of Sales
Lake Placid Lodge
Location: US - NY - Lake Placid
As part of the Lake Placid Lodge, your goal is to promote, sell, and book all group events at the hotel such as corporate retreats, weddings, parties, and reunions through sales calls, leads, and networking events. The Director of Sales will book & detail all events on property, and work with the hotel operations team to ensure a smooth and successful event for the client. The DOS is responsible for maintaining overnight room blocks, catering, audio-visual, and setup requirements. The ideal candidate will have a professional demeanor, superb communication and organization skills, experience in customer service, and knowledge of hotel sales and catering.
- Understands the overall market (i.e. competitors’ strengths/weaknesses, economic trends) and knows how to sell against them
- Respond and qualify all phone inquiries, electronic leads, and walk-ins in a timely manner. As a general rule, all calls should be returned by end of day
- Be aware of the forecast and budget, and where we need to fill business into open times. Be profit minded.
- Draft all business correspondence including proposals and contracts for all groups
- Calculate appropriate catering minimums and rental charges
- Attend networking & social industry events as required
- Complete weekly and monthly reports as required
- Cross-sell to other hotels within the portfolio when appropriate
- Respond to RFPs through Lanyon
- Assist with development of annual sales and marketing plans
- Responsible for BEO creation, menu, and event planning and detailed event coordination. Ensure BEOs are as detailed as possible to avoid oversight, or errors.
- Ensure all BEOs are signed off by the client before distributing to hotel departments
- Enforce catering minimums. Obtain menu choices and guaranteed numbers according to contract.
- Upgrade and upsell menus to maximize food and beverage revenues.
- Attend weekly meetings with hotel managers and discuss upcoming groups and how they will affect each department
- Create resumes with detailed group information to pass on to each department. Resumes should include details on room blocks, arrival/departure times, times when restaurants/lounges may be busy, buses, activities, housekeeping notes, etc.
- Confirm any outside vendors for upcoming events. Order and follow up on audiovisual equipment as needed.
- Ensure all events have payment on file, and ensure you are collecting payment within company guidelines (prepayment two weeks prior unless Direct Bill approved).
- Keep track of group cutoff date and remind client of upcoming cutoff date and room block status. Ensure group meets guestroom attrition.
- Ensure that all comp rooms, suites & special requests are set up correctly.
- Confirm routing of overnight rooms to make sure everything is billed properly.
- Send amenities to group contact and VIP guests as needed
- Check function rooms prior to events to ensure proper setup and cleanliness.
- Establish and maintain customer contact at all functions to make sure everything is going according to plan.
- Review final bill with accounting. Ensure client signs off on final bill. Work with accounting to ensure all bills are closed out properly
Qualified Candidates Must Meet the Following Criteria:
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in hotel sales and/or catering
- Professional demeanor
- Extremely detail oriented and organized
- Clear, concise written & verbal communication skills
- Exceptional detail in follow-up
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office
- Experience with Opera & Delphi highly beneficial
- High School diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Hospitality Management Degree beneficial