Director of Sales
Location: US - CO - Englewood
A local select-service hotel is now searching for a new Director of Sales to assist the General Manager in the creating an annual sales plan, monitoring the property's performance relative to the plan, and making as-needed adjustments to sales activities to reach targets for revenue, ADR, and RevPAR. Key duties will include managing all inside and outside sales activities, preparing weekly sales forecast, and training front desk staff on proper selling techniques.
This position is responsible for achieving revenue targets, developing and implementing strategic sales and marketing efforts for a specific property. Success is measured by: achieving and exceeding: revenue compared to plan, RevPAR Index % change, increased incremental revenues from new and existing accounts and overall customer satisfaction and value.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist General Manager with achievement of annual budget through a targeted and focused sales effort.
- Achieve incremental revenue goals and plan targets for room revenue, ADR, RevPAR, sales department expenses and Net Promoter/Guest Satisfaction scores.
- Saturate local backyard market including all Local, Global and Regional accounts.
- Review weekly sales results and establish or adjust sales plans and goals for future weeks.
- Coordinate local activities in support of brand promotions and marketing campaigns.
- Promote hotel through personal involvement in community organizations and events.
- Complete weekly sales calls (40 minimum).
- Guidelines: 10 outside, 20 prospecting, 3 sites/luncheons, 7 Maintenance
- Minimum of 10 new contacts per week (outside calls or phone prospecting- could include new contacts within existing accounts).
- Knowledge of all industry market segments with a strong focus on growing corporate business.
- Maintain a strong backyard sales presence in markets you represent. Qualify demand generating accounts for your assigned area.
- Complete and implement monthly/quarterly action plans that are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Accountable, Realistic, Timely).
- Use creativity with proposals, contracts and site inspections.
- Proactively/aggressively solicit new business.
- Show a sense of urgency to move business from competitors.
- Return phone calls and respond to leads within the same business day.
- Fully qualify all accounts using the Qualification Snapshot form and all sales tools and resources provided.
- Utilize the Mandatory Elements of Success and Core Value Commitment on all sales calls and activities
- Conduct sales activities to maintain relationship with key accounts to generate incremental revenue.
- Conduct hotel tours and entertain qualified potential clients in accordance with company and property policies.
Property Sales & Communication:
- Work as part of a team to build relationships with Regional Vice-President of Operations, Regional Revenue Manager, General Managers, Regional Sales Managers, Global Sales and staff within your area.
- Partner with Regional Sales Managers and Global Sales Managers and La Quinta team members to leverage business for your hotels.
- Be familiar with competitor hotels and selling strategies. Recognize what opportunities exist to move market share from competitors. Be aware of issues that make competitors’ accounts vulnerable (rates, amenities, service and product).
- Accurately communicate details on accounts to the operating departments as needed.
- Understand the hotel’s operations, including room types, meeting capacities, services, features and benefits for assigned hotels in your territory.
- Meet with sales clients before and during sales events to ensure guest satisfaction. Contact clients after function to measure guest satisfaction and respond to any guest complaints or issues.
- Perform sales activities such as responding to inquiries about hotel services, booking sales business, giving property tours, and coordinating arrangements for group events with the front desk, reservations, meeting rooms, and food and beverage.
- Provide Front Desk Staff with monthly sales profiles for groups, events or meetings.
- Provide lead generation and sales training to Front Desk Staff.
- Supervise and train sales coordinator, if applicable
- Review monthly STAR reports for hotels in your assigned area and create action plans as needed or assigned.
- Communicate with Revenue Management to ensure pricing is appropriate and adjust selling strategies as needed.
- Follows Property schedule regarding Holidays and special requests for time off.
- Participate, as requested, in the planning and implementation of corporate sales policies and programs, concentrated sales efforts, trade shows, corporate meetings, and any other event or activity deemed to be in line with the overall goals of La Quinta. Utilize corporate resources to achieve team objectives (e.g., marketing, operations, etc.).
- Allocate both dedicated and shared sales resources to achieve maximum revenue return on invested sales dollars by focusing efforts on those customers who are the most profitable and the best fit for La Quinta.
- Perform other duties or tasks as assigned by Management.
- Adhere to the company core values: People, Passion, Integrity, Excellence and Unique.
- Enter all sales activities in Salesforce and submit all requested reports on a timely basis.
- Maintain accurate, detailed and organized files/contracts on all events, customer inquiries and bookings
- Oversee completion of Group Rooms Control Log (GRC) and Pace Reports.
- Attend scheduled meetings and conference calls set by management staff.
- Monthly one on one’s with Director of Regional Sales/VP of Sales
- Attend sales training as scheduled.
- Observe prime selling time (9am-12noon and 1pm-4:30pm daily).
- Exceed assigned sales goals.
- Understand Sales Incentive Plan.
- Become proficient with all computer systems and reporting functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Has managerial skills needed for supervising multiple functions, with full responsibility for effective operation and results.
- Work is analytical, non-standard and widely varied requiring the interpretation and application of a variety of policies and procedures. Analytic ability and inductive thinking are required for the application of multiple, technical activities. Problem solving involves identification and analysis of diverse issues.
- Makes analytical decisions; supervision is present to establish and review broad objectives relative to basic position duties or divisional responsibilities. Independent judgment is required to study previously established, often partially relevant guidelines; plan for various interrelated activities; and coordinate such activities within a work unit /division or while completing a project.
- Responds to and handles unfamiliar situations with some supervisory guidance.
- Has advanced professional skills at the level of a "seasoned" professional. Requires extensive knowledge of their discipline and a working knowledge of related fields. Understands information in several unrelated professional disciplines.
- Solves problems that require choice of courses of action, which are limited by broad company policy and requires understanding and evaluation of impact upon the organization. The problems may involve exceptional technical difficulty requiring consultation with outside experts. Policy, procedures and precedent are created and/or approved by this position. Solutions affect organization-wide policy or operations.
- Completes work that requires the development of innovative methods, procedures, products or systems. This is a significant part of the job and results generally affect multiple divisions and locations.
- Applies established technology solutions to enhance individual or small work group efficiency and effectiveness.
- Serves as a project team member working to achieve defined goals. Work is typical in nature with very few situations requiring new solutions.
- Requires regular contact within the department and periodic contacts with other departments, supplying or seeking information on specialized matters.
- Requires regular external contacts to carry out organization programs and to explain specialized matters. Position requires contacts with customers or the public involving persons of some importance on matters requiring explanation and discussion and where the effort to influence becomes important.
Qualified candidates will have at least three years of hospitality sales experience and a 2-year or 4-year degree, preferably in business administration, marketing, or hotel management.