Director of Rooms Division
The Dunes Manor Hotel
Location: US - MD - Ocean City
REPORTS TO: General Manager
SUPERVISES DIRECTLY: All front office, PBX, Reservations, Housekeeping, Maintenance and Dock management and subsequently, their personnel
Purpose for the Position: To assume full and direct responsibility for the management of the day-to-day and long-term hotel rooms division, to include all departments outlined above. To work with the General Manager to ensure an efficient operation that provides levels of service that consistently exceeds visitor, guest, management and ownership expectations.
This position shall serve as the direct supervisor and to assume full responsibility for the following departments and the department heads, whose individual job outline include the following:
Front Office Manager:
- To ensure that guests are greeted, checked in and allocated rooms promptly and courteously.
- To ensure that check-in procedures are strictly adhered to and that the correct address and charge out details are obtained from each guest.
- To be readily available at all times to deal with problems or complaints.
- To ensure that rooms have been serviced and maintained to the standards established by the Company.
- To ensure maximum room occupancy within agreed overbooking policy.
- To ensure effective liaison between reservations and front office staff with other departments (e.g. housekeeping).
- To ensure that all charges are correctly entered on the guest's bill and that this is up to date at all times.
- To ensure that credit control procedures are strictly adhered to, that no bills exceed the stipulated limit without prior approval and that written confirmation, purchase orders, or order numbers are on file.
- To ensure that accounts are balanced daily.
- To ensure effective and speedy check-out procedures.
- To ensure that luggage is delivered to and collected from rooms speedily.
- To ensure that enquiries, messages, theatre bookings are dealt with courteously and efficiently.
- To ensure that all Front of House staff are correctly dressed at all times.
- To ensure that all Front of House areas are clean and orderly at all times.
- To ensure that newspapers and parcels are delivered to rooms without delay.
- To ensure that incoming and outgoing telephone calls are handled promptly and courteously.
- To ensure maximum security of all items left in safety deposit boxes.
- To carry out systematic checks of all Front of House areas for maintenance requirements, repairs or refurbishing, ensuring that these are acted on without delay.
- To ensure that the Hotel Entrance is easily accessible to cars and taxis at all times.
- To hold regular performance appraisals with all staff, identifying areas for development and training needs and ensuring that this training is effected.
- To carry out or ensure that regular On-the-Job training is taking place to agreed standards.
- To hold regular meetings with all Heads of Department.
- To ensure that manning levels are correct and these are not exceeded without permission.
- To ensure that the most suitably qualified person is appointed in the event of a vacancy - wherever possible this should be an internal promotion.
- To ensure maximum security in all areas under your control.
- To act as Duty Manager when required.
- To attend Management Meetings as required.
- To ensure accurate and timeliness submission of all reports and administrative work.
- To prepare and submit on the required format annual budgetary information and updates as required.
- To monitor trends within the industry and make suggestions how these could be implemented.
- To be familiar with all local Civil Defense measures.
- To ensure that staff under your control are trained in Civil Defense measures.
- Supervises housekeeping and laundry staff: hiring, terminating, performance evaluations, training and development.
- Assists general manager in the development of the department's annual budget. Monitors performance against plan.
- Establishes and maintains cost control systems for staffing, inventories, (linen, terry, OS&E and cleaning supplies.
- Enforces policies and procedures.
- Ensures quality services are rendered in meeting guest needs and that guest relations are enhanced.
- Schedules staff according to labor standards and forecasted business levels.
- Prepares daily assignment sheets for all housekeeping and laundry associates.
- Maintains cleanliness quality based on hotel objectives.
- Monitors and maintains level of cleanliness in event areas, storage areas, restrooms and public areas and offices.
- Compiles and reports accurate status of "the house" to the front desk department.
- Works with the Security Office to enforce standard procedures for the acceptance, security and return on guest lost and found items.
- Maintains standard procedures for security of rented and leased equipment.
- Maintains productivity and labor cost goals.
- Works with finance to conducts formal inventories of linen, supplies and equipment as required.
- Orders and receives supplies so as to maintain adequate inventory levels.
- Checks all vacant rooms and spaces, public spaces, storage areas and rest areas each day.
- Maintains departmental key control.
- Maintains deep cleaning program.
- Acts as Manager on Duty as required.
- Conducts monthly department meetings.
- Attends weekly staff meetings.
- Complete projects as determined by the General Manager.
- Provides professional and courteous guest service at all times.
- Supervises maintenance operations for the hotel, including but not limited to refrigeration, heating, plumbing, water treatment, preventative maintenance, Hotel front and back of house spaces, A/C units, ice machines, lighting, kitchen equipment, emergency generators, water softeners, switch rooms, roof exhausts, electrical substations, fire and life safety systems, and other systems and equipment owned, leased or managed by the Hotel.
- Monitors electric, gas, oil and water consumption on a prescribed basis.
- Ensures that all purchased services, electrical, plumbing, cleaning etc. are performed in a manner that exceeds guest and client expectations.
- Supervises assigned associates: hiring, terminations, performance evaluations and development.
- Ensures all projects are completed according to specifications and are completed on time.
- Works closely with Housekeeping/Environmental Services to ensure coordination of activities.
- Coordinates with Security to maintain key inventory for all locks.
- Trains hotel staff in emergency procedures.
- Aids and instructs craftsmen in scheduling work, ordering material and completing assignments by a specified date.
- Meets with architects to discuss blueprints, contacts contractors to submit bids for new projects, and meets with construction super visors to discuss difference phases of work.
- Obtains bids and contracts for all items placed under a maintenance agreement as well as landscaping and snow removal contracts.
- Develops and maintains an ongoing maintenance program for guestrooms, meeting rooms, public space back of the house spaces, kitchens and all Hotel equipment.
- Performs inventory and purchasing duties as required.
- Develops department budget.
- Maintains cleanliness of grounds a