Director of Rooms
Westin Wilmington Riverfront
Location: US - DE - Wilmington
Wilmington, DE, US 19801
The Westin Wilmington is seeking a dynamic leader to join our fast paced, full service hotel team! This position is responsible for providing multi-faceted, operations support to the hotel.
Provide guidance and leadership to the rooms division, ensuring consistent compliance with hotel policies and quality guest service while maximizing departmental profits. Indirectly offer supervision for the entire hotel as well as making policies and developing plans for carrying out work programs. Acts as general manager in the General Manager’s absence, as requested.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Implement and manage hotel’s daily quality process including goal communication, associate improvement, and compliance with PM Hotel Group standards of product and performance, service recovery and problem resolution. Disseminate feedback from comment cards, guest satisfaction and service failure measurements and coach accordingly. • Interview, hire, train, recommend performance evaluations, resolve problems, provide open communication and recommend discipline and/or termination when appropriate. Use the PM Hotel Group efforts for all recruiting and on-boarding activities.
• Communicate both verbally and in writing to provide clear direction to staff.
• Assign and instruct rooms division department managers in details of work. Observe performance and encourage improvement. Monitor hotel occupancy and make staffing adjustments accordingly. Supervise and review cost and inventory controls.
•Field guest complaints, conducting thorough research to develop the most effective solutions and negotiate results. Prepare written correspondence to guests. Listen and extend assistance in order to resolve problems such as price conflicts, insufficient heating or air conditioning, etc. Remain calm and alert especially during emergency situations and heavy hotel activity. Plan and implement detailed steps or problem resolution by using experienced judgment and discretion.
• Supervise the budgeting, forecasting, training, motivating and staffing of the rooms department including: telephone, front office, concierge and guest services.
• Prepare forecast expenses and actual results for the rooms division revenue and expenses. Review security logs daily for significant incidents, and coordinate with department heads all enforcement of policy and/or improvements in service needed.
• Work closely with the General Manager in establishing and monitoring policies and guidelines in the day-to-day operation of the hotel to ensure profitability and consistency. Solve problems of detail that come up in the course of the work.
• Plan, organize, chair, attend and/or participate in various hotel meetings such as: staff meetings, rooms division meetings, executive committee meetings, quality team meetings, etc.
• Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
Qualifications and Skills
Must have the ability to communicate in English. Self-starting personality with an even disposition. Maintain a professional appearance and manner at all times. Can communicate well with guests. Must be willing to “pitch-in” and help co-workers with their job duties and be a team player. Considerable skill in the use of a calculator to prepare moderately complex mathematical calculations without error. Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts. Ability to stand and move throughout the front office and continuously perform essential job functions. Ability to access and accurately input information using a moderately complex computer system. Ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, customers and patrons.
Customer Satisfaction: Our customers are what we are about. One of the keys to a positive guest experience is positive interaction with PM Hotel Group staff. It is essential that you remain professional at all times, and that you treat all guests and associates with courtesy and respect, under all circumstances. Every PM Hotel Group associate is a guest relations ambassador, every working minute of every day.
Work Habits: In order to maintain a positive guest and associate experience, your work habits should always meet and strive to exceed hotel standards for work procedures, dress, grooming, punctuality and attendance. You should be adaptable to change in your work area and in hotel procedures with a willingness to learn new skills and/or improve existing ones, have the ability to solve routine problems that occur on the job, and ask for help whenever you are not sure how to do something.
Safety & Security: The safety and security of our guests and associates is of utmost importance to PM Hotel Group. Every PM Hotel Group associate should adhere to the hotel security policies and procedures, particularly regarding key controls, lifting heavy objects, using chemicals, and effectively reporting safety hazards and safety concerns.
NOTE: This description excludes non-essential and marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of the fundamental job duties. Furthermore, the specific examples in each section are not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather, they represent the typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. Other job-related duties may be assigned by the associate’s supervisor. Furthermore, this description is subject to change, at the sole discretion of the Company, and in no way creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise; each associate remains, at all times, an “at will” associate.
PM Hotel Group offers Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Free Meals and Travel Discounts around the world!