Director of Rooms
Location: US - PA - Pittsburgh
Purpose of the Position:
Responsible for the daily operations of Front Desk and Housekeeping team members to ensure professional and exceptional service to all guests. Directs and controls the operations of the Front Office and Housekeeping departments. Coordinates the cleaning of guest rooms and public areas as efficiently as possible, while being cost conscience, and keeping the highest standards of cleanliness as specified by the brand standards. Responsible for preparing schedules, payroll input, updating web information, assisting with technical support, assisting with financial responsibilities. Resolves guest concerns expeditiously in a manner which is beneficial to all involved. Provides supervisory guidance, reinforces training, and initiates disciplinary action when needed. Makes suggestions and recommendations for all matters pertaining to associates employment status. Minimum 3 years housekeeping and/or front office management experience required. College degree preferred. Experience with OnQ system a plus. Must be able to work in a high-pressure environment and available for all shifts. Previous hotel and front office experience preferred Must be able to work all shifts.
1. Interviews and hires all managers in the departments of responsibility.
2. Trains all managers in the departments of responsibility to ensure effective service to the guests.
3. Participates in all Division associate performance reviews, job transfers, disciplinary procedures, counseling sessions and terminations.
4. Has complete understanding of all Division staff's job descriptions and duties and is able to perform duties at any given time.
5. Prepares purchase requests for supplies needed.
6. Conducts frequent inspections to guest rooms, public areas and front desk to ensure quality in all areas.
7. Coordinates special programs, functions and incentives to improve guest service.
8. Handles or assists with any guest related complaints and/or comments as well as coordinates the proper follow up.
9. Works with all Rooms and Sales management to maximize room occupancy and rates.
10. Responsible for upholding guest service score and implementing improvement plans as needed, including following up with unhappy guests.
11. Participates in the development of management and hourly associates to ensure training and guidance.
12. Ensures hotel guests receive friendly and courteous service at all times.
13. Participates in the following:
a. weekly staff meetings
b. weekly Executive Committee meetings
c. weekly Operations meeting
d. monthly safety meetings
e. monthly CARE committee meetings
14. Gives travel directions to the hotel facilities, rooms and local attractions.
15. Knows emergency procedures (fire, severe weather, bomb threats, guest illness, etc.)
16. Has complete working knowledge of On Q and hotel reservation systems.
17. Understand the night audit procedures.
18. Prepares all financial related documents.
a. prepares fiscal and capital budgets for all of the Division.
b. works in close cooperation with Accounting Department to ensure proper controls and adheres to prescribed accounting systems.
c. reviews property's accounts receivable with accounting to ensure collections of monies.
d. analyzes and monitors profit and loss statement.
e. creates a period end critique of rooms division expenditures to account for monies spent.
19. Understand and uses Prospera and the Brand Procedures.
20. Ensures the "Open Door Policy."
21. Utilizes protective equipment.
22. Attends company orientation.
23. Provides for a safe work environment by following all safety and security procedures and rules.
24. Additional duties which you may be asked to perform.
25. Understands the CBA and participates in grievances as needed.
To Do This Kind of Work You Must Be Able To:
1. Portray leadership and provides guidance to the Front Office and Housekeeping staff.
2. Properly handle guest complaints and/or concerns.
3. Efficiently operate a keyboard by moving fingers, hands and arms.
4. Understands and operates the computer.
5. Stand for varying lengths of time, sometime for long periods.
6. Talk with different kinds of people to give information, answer questions and provide the service required.
7. Use arithmetic to check totals and make changes.
8. Read maps and give clear directions.
9. Operate the safelock equipment.
10. Push and pull bellcart weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
11. Possess a valid drivers license and drive a shuttle van.
12. Memorize the hours of operation for the hotel facilities.
Lift and carry fifty (50) pounds, with frequent walking, standing, sitting, smiling, talking, hearing.