Director of Operations
Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Location: US - IL - Chicago
Chicago, IL, US 60611
Areas of Responsibility:
- Support the General Manager in the overall management and strategic direction of the hotel.
- Oversee the operations functions of the hotel, including but not limited to Food and Beverage, Security and Rooms Division.
- Lead and support all departments in the achievement of their financial and operational targets through establishment of a positive culture, clear expectations and policy & procedural implementation.
- Assist in the preparation, presentation and subsequent achievement of the hotel's annual Operating Budget, Marketing & Sales Plan and Capital Budget.
Ensure full compliance to Hotel operating controls.
Actively involved in the recruitment process of leadership positions within the operating departments.
Follow department policies, procedures and service standards.
Follow all safety policies.
Involved in union activities to include monthly union grievance meetings.
Daily financials and operational paperwork.
Check forecast and occupancy.
Attend hotel staff meeting.
Create assignments for all department heads, and follow up.
Review payroll to assure budgeting and forecasting are on par.
Review hotel billing.
Monitor vacation accruals, policy and procedures.
Meet with catering sales on future events, concerns and promotions.
Plan for business recruitments.
Plan for future improvements.
Forecast for next month by the 15th of the previous month.
Review P&L with department heads.
Other duties as assigned.
Key Skills and Requirements:
- Delegation: Assign tasks using such techniques as needs analysis, individual skills assessments, objective setting and communication.
- Organization: Demonstrate ability to proactively prioritize needs and effectively manage resources.
- Performance management, supervisory: Demonstrate ability to relate to, communicate with and motivate employees to sustain high performance and quality levels.
- Planning: Skillfully determine whether tasks should be attempted, identifying the most effective way to complete the task, and preparing to overcome expected difficulties.
Required Skills & Experience:
Education, bachelor's degree in hotel, business or hospitality management from four-year College or university; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five to seven year’s operational experience in a fast paced operation of similar size and style.
- Effective management and leadership skills
- Proven successful background in attaining guest service and financial goals
- Polished and professional with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organized, strategic, financially savvy and works well independently and autonomously.
- Strong team building skills, accountability, positive business presence with an effective open door policy.
- Past experience in creating budgets, P&L literate are required.
- Computer literacy in hotel systems is required: Microsoft Office, Lotus, Delphi, Opera, Micros.
- The candidate must be able to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays as necessary for the success of the hotel.
- Ability to interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, members, and the public to promote a Team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.
- Experience managing a Union Labor force a plus.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; or four years related experience and/ or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, committees, suppliers, members, and employees.
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, area circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situation where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- City of Chicago sanitation certificate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is usually indoors, in a controlled environment, and experiences a moderate noise level in the work environment.