Director of Human Resources
Location: US - PA - Pittsburgh
Purpose of the Position:
Administers, directs and controls the operations of the property Human Resource Department. Coordinates and directs the recruitment, processing and orientation of qualified applicants for all positions. Monitors performance appraisal system, ensures record keeping, individual and group counseling, benefits administration, department intercommunication and wage and salary administration. Monitors compliance with established personnel policies and procedures. Acts in concert with the management team as directed by need or the General Manager. Exercises discretion and independent judgment on matter pertaining to Human Resources.
- Trains all associates in the Human Resources Department how to perform their job duties to the best of their abilities while in accordance with established objective, policies and procedures.
- Schedule, evaluate and direct all personnel in the Human Resource Department
- Keep “open communication” between managers and associates
- Initiates disciplinary action when, and if, necessary
- Provides associates with the tools they need to perform their jobs
- Takes immediate actions on problems that are encountered in the Human resource Department
- Participates in the following
- Daily or weekly Executive Committee meetings
- Weekly staff meetings
- Monthly department meetings and safety meetings
- Ensure the proper recruiting; interviewing, screening, reference checking and hiring procedures are followed
- Maintains accurate associate records including personal data, tax information, performance reviews, accrued benefits, wage and salary information
- Administers and maintains accurate records of necessary federal, state and local reports as required by the applicable laws, franchise S.O.P.’s and Prospera Hospitality’s S.O.P’s
- Coordinates the property effort for union avoidance
- Maintains accurate records and reports all OSHA information required by law
- Oversees the administration of accurate record keeping with regard to immigration laws
- Responsible for generating annual department budget and monitors period profit and loss statement
- Monitors associate insurance and benefit programs and ensures availability to eligible associates
- Conducts annual wage and benefit survey according to Prospera Hospitality’s and franchise guidelines
- Monitors department salary and hourly wage structure
- Assures timely processing of claims for unemployment and workers’ compensation claims
- Monitors use of performance appraisal programs and ensures consistent, legal and appropriate use of the program
- Analyzes staff needs and prepares appropriate recommendations
- Recommends and implements appropriate training programs to include “train the trainer” and development training
- Coordinates Management Orientation Program
- Develops and implements general Orientation Program and reviews associate handbook for all staff
- Counsels with associates; ensures compliance with Prospera Hospitality’s Guarantee of Fair Treatment and Open Door Policy
- Conducts exit interviews for all terminated personnel
- Responsible for proper job posting procedures
- Oversees Associate Relations Programs (service award banquet, associate picnic, etc.
- Analyzes property turnover and retention figures
- Develops and monitors associate communication system (newsletter, bulletin boards, etc.
- Interviews and hires new personnel as needed
- Reviews and approves all reviews, hires, job transfers, warning notices, counseling sessions and terminations
- Evaluates staff performance on a ninety (90) day and annual basis
- Conducts self to reflect the high standards of professionalism with the organization
- Learns, understands and refers to the Standard Operating Procedures
- Reports accidents, injuries, near misses, property damage or loss to supervisor
- Reports substandard (unsafe) conditions to supervisors
- Utilizes protective equipment
- Knows department fire prevention and emergency procedures
- Follows safety and security procedures and rules
- Adheres to all policies and procedures
- Project enthusiastic, optimistic, helpful attitude
- Provides for a safe work environment for following all safety and security procedures and rules
- Provides expertise to Management on Human Resources matters
- Administers EEO and AA policies
- Additional duties which you may be asked to perform.
To do this kind of work you must be able to:
- Previous hotel experience preferred
- Previous HR experience required, preferably director/manager level
- Previous union experience preferred
- Speak effectively with hourly associates, managers, supervisors and guests for various types of communication, answer questions, emergency situations, counseling, training and discipline
- Communicate effectively both written and verbal
- Operate a computer for various word processing and spreadsheet items
- Read and interpret various forms and reports
- Use math and logic to produce and interpret summary reports and budgets.
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk for varying lengths of time.
- Sometimes requiring lifting of fifteen (15) pounds.