Aparium Hotel Group is looking for a Director of Human Resources to lead the HR function of the soon-to-open Foundation Hotel in Detroit, Michigan.
Do you want to be part of the exciting revitalization of Detroit? The Foundation Hotel is at the forefront of the renewal of the Motor City. A transformation of the former Detroit Fire Department Headquarters and adjacent Pontchartrain Wine Cellar building, The Foundation will be the top hotel in the market with authentic inspiration, design, and programming that respects Detroit’s past, yet is looking forward through its revival.
The food and beverage programming will include a three-meal restaurant and bar with approximately 200 covers positioned to be among the top restaurants in the region. The hotel’s restaurant will present iconic New American cuisine, and with space that will serve as an incubator for culinary students, up and coming chefs and visiting culinary influencers. The elevated bar program will focus on collaboration with Michigan breweries and distillers.
The hotel will feature approximately 4500 square feet of meeting space, including a rooftop ballroom and a unique podcast studio.
Managed by Aparium Hotel Group, the hotel experience will be driven by the brand pillars of translocal hospitality, collaboration and intuitive service. The powerful culmination of these elements creates a truly unique environment.
Aparium’s service culture is rooted in the belief that art and science are necessary to curate the guest experience. The art of the experience comes together through the power of people, place and character. The science is embedded throughout our standards and training resources. This creates a powerful service experience that enhances every guest interaction.
As a member of the pre-opening team, you will be part of a hotel unlike anything else in the area. The hotel is scheduled to open Spring 2017.
In this unique role, the Director of Human Resources will be involved in pre-hotel opening planning such as recruitment, employee relations, consistent application of company policies and local and federal laws, as well as benefits administration, training and associate development.
- Excellent knowledge of all hotel departments internally
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks
- Experience developing subordinates and peers
- Excellent communication skills both written/verbal
- Problem solver with strong leadership qualities
- Requires high levels of interaction with all members of team. Exchanging ideas, information and opinions with others to formulate programs and arrive jointly at decisions, conclusions and solutions
- Highly organized and has the ability to plan multiple activities and meet deadlines with a positive and professional demeanor at all times
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; phone skills, customer service oriented, proactive and a team player
- Handle confidential situations in a professional manner
- Knowledge of employee benefits processing
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/fundamentals
- Maintain files on all current laws regarding Human Resources
- Monitors performance and development for all employees, including review of disciplinary actions, recommendations for suspension or termination as well as the performance review process
- Ensures that employee communications is available at all levels of employee and influence the quality, content and intent of communications in the hotel and recommends the most effective vehicle of communication and the best method
- Assess the development and effectiveness of all levels of employees
- Supervise the financial issues for the HR budget including benefits, labor and salary reports and plan cost effective events within the HR budget guidelines
- Establish and implement recruitment, selection, placement and pre-employment procedure in accordance with hotel standards and all applicable laws to include hiring, employee guide and compensation guidelines
- Analyze hotel training and development needs at all levels and create or coordinate the creating of programs designed to make employees proficient in their delivery of core and culture fundamentals and prepare them for promotion from within
- Organize and supervise all employee programs
- All other responsibilities assigned by management
- 4 year college degree preferably with an emphasis in Hospitality Management or Human Resources preferred
- A minimum of 5 years HR management experience
- Anticipate and deliver exceptional service consistently
- Intuitively service each guest, associate, visitor or client
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a focus on the details
- Follow instinct and use her/his best judgment to create experiences for guests that are thoughtful and genuine
- Greet each guest promptly, courteously, graciously with eye contact, a smile and good posture
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times to reflect the high standards of the hotel
- Maintain a good working relationship with other associates by promoting teamwork and fostering a harmonious working climate
- Partake in a positive work ethic and surrounding environment
- Standard hotel/restaurant setting
Aparium Hospitality Services, LLC does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws. The Foundation Hotel is a smoke-free, drug-free facility, and equal opportunity employer.