Director of Group Sales
The Langham, Boston
Location: US - MA - Boston
Boston, MA, US 02110
Purpose of the job
To lead group sales team to achieve budgeted short and long term revenue goals. Results are driven through maximizing and managing sales resources and efforts to ensure continued market penetration in terms of exceeding revenue targets and market/customer share per account. Assist with driving market share growth. To meet and exceed established room night and room revenue goals, individually and within the group sales team.
Planning and Organizing – Contribute to the strategy and planning activities for the group sales function
- Develop the Group Sales Plan to accurately interpret the objectives of the business and focus the team on his/her own efforts.
- Contribute to the development of group sales initiatives recommending, implementing and monitoring appropriate local activity to achieve required revenue results.
- Identify and secure the people and financial resources needed to achieve the required sales results.
- Provide accurate weekly and monthly group forecasts.
Account Management – Develop and maintain Langham best practices to ensure customer account objectives are defined and appropriate sales activities are implemented.
- Assist team members in creating account development plans, detailing objectives, timescales and sales methods to support the defined account strategies. Actions to include account solicitation, lead qualification, client entertaining, sales calls local in key feeder markets.
- Liaise with ALHI and GSO, GSA’s, GBCVB, specifying the account’s contribution to the business’ revenue targets and agreed upon activities.
- Accurately identify the decision making power of contacts in the customer organization in order to secure business.
- Develop customer accounts to increase market/customer share, all revenue streams – locally, nationally and globally.
Marketing Intelligence – Monitor and maintain competitor set activity including:
- Financial performance, SWOT analysis, key accounts/market share, and third party programs.
Customer Relationships – Establish, enhance and maintain productive, quality, working relationships with key internal and external customers.
- Maintain up to date hotel information relating to customer requirements, interests and market activities.
- Review customer base to determine new opportunities for account penetration.
- Liaise with Director of Sales & Marketing to review the effectiveness of sales activities.
- Contribute ideas to improve products and services offered.
Team Leadership – Direct, monitor and evaluate performance of account teams and self to ensure sales revenue targets are being met.
- Clarify and implement best practice selling methods and procedures at all levels within the team to ensure business objectives are met.
- Discuss and agree upon departmental and individual objectives with team, reviewing and updating in light of changes in the business, implementing corrective action when necessary.
- Provide regular and timely feedback to group team members regarding performance.
- Create an atmosphere which motivates and encourages colleagues to reach their full potential, minimizing conflict when it occurs.
Develop Individuals and Teams – Select, train, coach and develop colleagues to enhance their performance to meet current and future needs of the group department
- Assist in recruitment of high potential individuals.
- Produce training and development plans for the department and related areas.
- Ensure “Master Connections” training and additional coaching opportunities are offered on a regular basis; evaluate the effectiveness of said trainings
- Ensure Pipeline goals are achieved.
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES/Required competencies
- Ability to set high personal performance standards.
- Plan, organize and use a systematic approach to accomplish duties, while managing time and resources effectively.
- Prioritize actions and manage tasks to completion.
- Actively seek opportunities to develop and learn from experience.
Communication and Leadership Skills
- Communicate openly and clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Good listener.
- Manage conflict effectively.
- Motivate and inspire others to perform to their highest potential.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Collect and analyze relevant information when a problem arises.
- Seek innovative solutions and make conscious decisions to move forward.
- Must be forward thinking; develop contingency plans when necessary.
- Be self-reliant, possess the ability to work with minimal control and direction, act on own initiative when appropriate.
- Take calculated risks to achieve results.
- Be driven and determined to succeed.
- Present powerful arguments to persuade others.
- Express confidence in own ideas.
- Ability to adapt quickly and positively to new situations.
- Be productive under changing circumstances.
- Ability to multitask.
- Additional responsibilities and/or special assignments may be required at the request of hotel management.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/GENERAL REQUIREMENTS/REQUIRED PHYSICAL, MENTAL ABILITIES
- Undergraduate degree from a college or university in relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years experience in one of the following areas: group sales, luxury hotel sales, hotel revenue management/distribution.
- Well organized and a good planner with an enquiring mind.
- Prompt and systematic decision making skills.
- Be able to analyze data and make good decisions based on the facts at hand.
- Independent and ability to work under pressure.
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills for working with third party partners and the internal team members.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English.
- Goal oriented, strong track record.
- Use written (verbal/visual) sources of information, to conduct site inspections, qualify business leads, read reports, procedural documentation, electronic systems, and references materials.
- Stand, sit, reach, grasp, lift/carry, walk, climb, kneel, squat, bend, push/pull.
- Perform activities requiring sustained concentration, e.g. designing, and planning work.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Proficient in Cvent, Delphi, Word, Excel, Meeting Broker, Cendyne, Outlook