Director of Food & Beverage - soon to be open Foundation Hotel Spring 2017
Do you want to be part of the exciting revitalization of Detroit? Aparium Hotel Group is looking for a Director of Food & Beverage that shares our vision for a new Detroit, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for celebrating the community through arts, events and food. The Foundation Hotel is at the forefront of the renewal of the Motor City. A transformation of the former Detroit Fire Department Headquarters and adjacent Pontchartrain Wine Cellar building, The Foundation will be the top hotel in the market with authentic inspiration, design, and programming that respects Detroit’s past, yet is looking forward through its revival.
The food and beverage programming will include a three-meal restaurant and bar with approximately 200 covers positioned to be among the top restaurants in the region. The hotel’s restaurant will present iconic New American cuisine, and with space that will serve as an incubator for culinary students, up and coming chefs and visiting culinary influencers. The elevated bar program will focus on collaboration with Michigan breweries and distillers.
The hotel will feature approximately 4500 square feet of meeting space, including a rooftop ballroom and a unique podcast studio. The 100-room hotel is scheduled to open Spring 2017.
Aparium Hotel Group has a strong point of view on translocal hospitality – delivering communal experiences unique to each location. We believe in intuitive service, empowering our associates to deliver unique experiences for guests.
In this unique role, the Director of Food & Beverage will be involved in creating innovative guest dining experiences, delivering outstanding customer service, and building an engaged associate team.
Ready to find out more?
- Understand and work within a hotel setting to cover all food and beverage functions
- Creates and maintains an energizing environment, with superior associates, dedicated to an attentive, distinctive food and beverage experience
- Hires, trains, supervises, coaches, and motivates associates
- Identifies service issues and takes action to correct them
- Plans and executes functions or special receptions in rooms, suites and boardrooms
- Oversees mini bar procurement, distribution, billing and inventory
- Works with reservations, kitchen and sales for rooms packages and amenities requiring F&B
- Collaborate with other hotel departments and attend meetings as required
- Elevate service through continual training sessions
- Build local relationships with vendors, purveyors and businesses
- Ensures the correct and consistent service techniques for various meal periods will be demonstrated by all associates members
- Controls usage of all food and beverage items and appropriate usage of equipment, tools and service equipment
- Observes daily conditions of all physical facilities and equipment in the restaurant; makes recommendations for corrections and improvements as needed
- Prepares associate schedules which allow for appropriate service while controlling labor costs and overtime
- Thorough understanding of all food and beverage items offered, including ingredients, methods of preparation and proper service.
- Expert knowledge of wines and spirits, beers, local ingredients and brands
- Create training programs to elevate service including coffee, tea and non-food and alcoholic beverage services
- Handles all inventories directly involved with the operation of the Food and Beverage
- Thorough understanding of the computer system in ringing, printing and closing checks as well as shift reports
- Knowledge of budget preparation and cost controls
- Works with Corporate Director of Food & Beverage, Executive Culinary Director, Executive Chef, Sous Chefs and other team members to design concepts, menus, beverage lists
- Ensures that financials goals of the Food and Beverage outlets and the hotel are being met. Monitor and control labor expenses and other divisional expenses such as supplies and equipment. Assist in preparing business forecasts. Prepare annual budget for the Food & Beverage division
- Excellent reading, writing and oral proficiency of the English language
- 5-7 years of food and beverage management experience
- Thorough understanding of excellent service, labor control, maintenance, merchandising and accounting
- Computer literate
- Excellent knowledge of food, wine and cocktails
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain Alcohol Awareness certification, Food Handlers Certification
- Anticipate and deliver exceptional service consistently
- Intuitively service each guest, associate, visitor or client
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a focus on the details
- Follow instinct and use her/his best judgment to create experiences for guests that are thoughtful and genuine
- Greet each guest promptly, courteously, graciously with eye contact, a smile and good posture
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times to reflect the high standards of the hotel
- Maintain a good working relationship with other associates by promoting teamwork and fostering a harmonious working climate
- Partake in a positive work ethic and surrounding environment
- Standard hotel/restaurant setting
Aparium Hospitality Services, LLC does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws. The Foundation Hotel is a smoke-free, drug-free facility, and equal opportunity employer.