Director of Finance
Location: US - MA - Boston
Supervises and directs financial activities, safeguards the assets, and prepares all financial reports in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Serves as a financial advisor.
Monitor and approve all sales, purchases, salaries, and expenses.
Analyze financial data of operations in order to educate and advise hotel staff and management on the value and benefits of internal controls and maintaining an efficient operation. Assist and counsel all department heads in the interpretation of financial data and recommend courses of action to maximize profitability.
Prepare forecasts and budgets as required (Annual, Revised Annual, Monthly, and/or on Corporate/Owner’s requests).
Develop and monitor internal controls to safeguard hotel assets. Maintain adequate internal control over revenues, expenses, assets and liabilities of the hotel and ensure accounts are maintained according to GAAP and Uniform System of Accounts.
Hire, train, and supervise Finance Department staff including coaching, counseling, and discipline. Direct accounting staff to ensure accurate accounting and timely reporting of financial data to department heads, hotel management, corporate office, and owners in accordance with GAAP guidelines.
Ensure that all licenses, permits, and insurance policies are current and are in compliance with local, state, and Federal laws. Monitor all contracts and agreements.
Assume cash management responsibilities, including preparation of statement of cash flow and, if necessary, statement of changes in financial position. Establish and audit all internal financial controls, including purchasing, cash handling and disbursements, inventories, hotel equipment, master keys, and personnel time records.
- Knowledge of computers and training techniques
- Knowledge of business law, federal, state, and local taxes, as well as Department of Labor regulations
- Knowledge of insurance, employee benefits, claims and liability
- Ability to read, write, and speak the English language to communicate effectively
- Ability to exercise judgment in evaluating situations and in making sound decisions
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
- Leadership and organizational skills (team orientation, flexible, adaptable)
- Ability to analyze large volume of complex financial information from many sources and create reports, forecasts projections
- Basic understanding of complex computerized financial systems and ability to use it including manual dexterity to operate all office machines
- Knowledge of various computer programs, such as Word and Excel
- Knowledge of Uniform Systems of Accounting
- 4 year college degree preferred
- At least 3 years’ experience in Finance field preferred
- At least 2 years’ experience in direct supervision and management preferred