A career with Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group opens up a wealth of exciting opportunities for you, both now and for your future development. Our vision is to be widely recognised as the best luxury hotel group in the world. The Group is renowned for creating a culture that provides a motivating and rewarding environment in which to thrive.
Director of Finance
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award winning owner and operator of some of the worlds' finest hotels. The Group operates luxury hotels in key leisure and business destinations. In total Mandarin Oriental employs 12,000 colleagues in three continents with 13 hotels in Asia, 6 in North America and 10 in Europe.
Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta is a spectacular addition to our acclaimed collection of hotels and resorts. Situated in the prestigious Buckhead neighbourhood, the luxurious 127 guest rooms and 10 suites offer the most spacious luxury accommodations in the city. Unparalleled service and luxury amenities make it the ideal choice for both business and leisure travellers. The Spa at Mandarin Oriental is a serene retreat for effective therapy. Our spa has introduced Atlanta to world-acclaimed and unique Mandarin Oriental therapies.
This position provides continuous leadership and guidance in all matters relating to the financial operation of the hotel by: developing and delivering accurate and timely financial reports to assist management decision making process, maintaining acceptable internal control procedures designed to safeguard owners/investors assets, and ensures compliance with all Federal, State, Local regulations. Additional responsibilities include; staffing, training, scheduling of employees; planning organizing, directing and coordinating all department activities to ensure efficient financial operations.
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
- Manage/oversee the accounting department to ensure optimal efficiency of financial operations and adherence to Mandarin Oriental commitments to management contracts
- Supervises preparation all financial reports, ledger reviews and forecasts according to the established schedule, for distribution of operational information necessary to assist management in decision-making and budget preparation processes
- Oversees preparation of, interprets and analyzes monthly financial statements and presents to management
- Monitors revenues/expenses and ensure accurate recording of information to GAAP & Mandarin Oriental established guidelines
- Compiles financial data related to operations, investigate and critique variances from expectations to determine cause and recommend appropriate management response to insure attainment of hotels financial objective
- Establishes and oversees /audits all internal financial controls to include purchasing, cash handling, receipts, disbursements, expendable/fixed asset inventories, payroll and employee records to insure policies are enforced according to Mandarin Oriental standards
- Coordinates annual internal and external audit processes
- Ensures the proper utilization, maintenance and periodic upgrading as required of all IT systems and equipment
- Assists management in the capitol planning process by providing appropriate ROI information
- Coordinates the development of the Annual Budget and Monthly Forecasts
- Assists division and department heads in the preparation of their respective budgets
- Maintains files, pertaining to and ensuring compliance with, insurance policies, all contracts and legal agreements
- Ensures proper, timely payment of fees for licenses, permits, regulatory contracts and insurance's, all taxes
- Serves as active member of Executive Committee and attends all related Meetings
- Approves as needed all purchase orders, payroll submittals, cash transfers to owners, manual checks, balance sheet and bank reconciliations, month end journal entries, bad debt write-off's and all Mandarin Oriental inter-hotel and corporate billings
- Directs cash management activities to ensure the proper use and timely availability of funds
- Provides guidance on technical issues affecting the departments reporting to the Assistant Director of Finance
- Interviews, selects, trains, appraises, coaches, counsels and disciplines accounting personnel according to Mandarin Oriental standards
- Evaluates individual employee performance, determines areas in need of improvement or requirements for advancement, establishes goals, objectives and training needs required to achieve same
- Evaluates changes in guest needs, the hotels guest mix and industry competitive set, to recommend appropriate product/service and operational changes necessary to ensure guest and employee satisfaction, while maintaining market dominance and exceptional financial prospects
- Actively participates in bi-weekly conference calls with ownership to discuss operations related to all entities included in the Master Association.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Hospitality Management
- Five years Financial Controller Experience in Hospitality Accounting operations, a portion of which must be in the luxury sector
- Financial certification CPA preferred
- Ability to generate all financial reports, including profit & loss statement, income statement, etc.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Ability to assemble, analyze, understand integrated spread sheets and complex technical information
- Proficiency in HOA and Master Association Accounting (building budgets and intercompany transactions)
- Prioritization skills necessary to meet deadlines
- Strong presentation skills
- Effective management, leadership, organizational and communications skills
- Proficiency in Opera, Sun, Delphi, Hyperion and Micros System preferred
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays