Director of F&B Outlets
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto
Location: CA - ON - Toronto
To assist the Director of Operations in the overall administration and operation of the F&B Division in sections appointed, to maximize profits. To ensure maintenance of quality standards, staff performance and customer satisfaction.
- To have complete knowledge on the food / beverage / service available in sections appointed
- Monitor and ensure smooth operations of the sections appointed
- Effective participation in coordinating and controlling departments
- Conduct regular tours of front and back of F&B operations to check on set-up / service / food quality / general maintenance / cleanliness
- Co-ordinate with the Executive Chef / Outlet Managers on the set-up, implementation and sales of all outlet promotions and menu planning
- In conjunction with the Executive Chef, to establish standard recipes / specifications sheet and theoretical sales prices for food and beverage services in sections appointed
- Ensure system in place to monitor and grow the F&B outlet database
- Establish a yearly promotion and menu plan / festive season calendar / yearly entertainment concept and monitors implementation and budgets
- Liaise and attend promotional activities directed towards the press to introduce new menus and restaurants, etc
- Provide Communication Department with information needed for mailing, advertising, direct mail and press releases
- Participate in effective staff management (staff hiring / termination / transfers / overtime / counseling)
- Approve weekly F&B roster
- Enforce staff motivation and team building
- Observe staff individual performance / grooming / punctuality, and performs staff appraisals / disciplinary actions if required
- Ensure that the staff are equipped with proper working environment / tools / knowledge to enable them to be productive and efficient
- Ensure application of procedures and regulations to staff concerning hygiene and sanitation / fire and safety / emergency procedures
- Maintain regular customer contact to obtain feedback / create future and potential clients (60-second critique and performance monitor)
- Proper and tactful handling of verbal complaints from customers and respond to customer critique forms
- Conduct / attend F&B divisional and departmental meetings as required
- Ensure smooth and effective communications between F&B and other departments in the hotel
- Meeting regularly with key suppliers to discuss new products, flaws in existing products, maximize discounts, sponsorships
- Ensure that quality of food / beverage / service provided are consistently maintained
- Ensure that all materials, equipment and machinery are properly used and regularly cleaned, in order to prolong usage
- Effective participating and control in inventory taking / costs / breakage
- Approve food / beverage / general requisitions in sections appointed
- Ensure TMS and Cashiering system with F&B Cashier Supervisor is well coordinated
- Practice economy of food, beverage, paper supplies, electricity and water
- Assist the Director of Operations in the planning of budget / forecast / CAPEX / P&L for the division
- Implement appropriate and effective measures to improve control of costs / expenses / labour
- Be environmentally friendly, reduce waste, recycle when possible, and reuse whenever applicable
- Undertake other ad hoc related responsibilities, as required.
The following is considered mandatory for this position:
- Drives results – Strives for service excellence in Food & Beverage with demonstrated understanding of international fine dining, wine and service standards commensurate the leading hotels in high profile cities in the world.
- Detail oriented – Strong organization skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Business and financial expertise –Demonstrates financial acumen, knowledge of successful yield management techniques, Shangri-La operational elements, and operates within established hotel practices, policies and procedures.
- Communication – Excellent verbal and written communication with 100% fluency in English. (additional languages desirable)
- Decision-making and problem solving – Responds promptly and reasonably when making decisions, ultimately ensuring successful problem resolution.
- Exceptional leadership - Inspires colleague commitment, loyalty and motivation though progressive workplace practices that foster teamwork, open communication, safety, respect, sincerity, helpfulness, courtesy and humility.
- Develops a culture of trust and develops the competencies of all individuals under his/her supervision.
- Strives for innovation and shares knowledge.
- Coaches and mentors – Fosters a climate of continuous learning, growth and improvement, with a strong commitment to the career development of others.
- Ethical conduct and responsibility – Sets a positive example and fulfills responsibilities with the highest integrity, ethics and professionalism.
- Technology proficiency– Fully competent with current Windows based programs, point of sale and Micros point of sale system.
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto is compliant with its obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and will provide reasonable accommodation in the application and interview process for this position upon request.
- Minimum 5 years Food and Beverage management experience.
- Minimum 2 years work experience as a Division Head in an international luxury hotel.
- Previous Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts experience highly preferred or comparable experience with key competitor.
- Diploma / Degree in Food and Beverage / Hospitality Management, or equivalent.
- Salaried position- required to work evenings, weekends, and/or holidays when applicable.