A Premier Hotel Management & Investment Company with Strategic Vision and Strong Core Values
Since 1987, Pacific Hospitality Group has maintained a strategic vision and strong core values as guiding principles for business success. With luxury hotel properties from Napa Valley to Southern California, PHG's growing portfolio of hotel and resort investments reinforces the company's cohesive vision and ensuing success.
PHG manages, develops, finances, and owns hotels and resorts located in California, Hawaii, Arizona and Louisiana. We currently own and manage 11 hotels and resorts, representing over 2,676 rooms and 203,650 square feet of premier indoor meeting and event space.
Responsible for maintenance of entire hotel/resort and/or property, including physical
buildings, grounds, mechanical, electrical, and HVAC systems. Manages budget, capital
expenditure projects, preventative maintenance and energy conservation. Builds and
manages teams effectively.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions
Provides guidance and direction to ensure overall departmental success. Manages subordinate supervisors/lead personnel who supervise team members in the assigned Engineering areas. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training team members; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining team members; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Responsible for planning department goals and directing team members to achieve results.
- Participates in the hiring process by interviewing potential team members and selecting those that best meet staffing needs. Participates in management training. Follows all Human Resources policies. Ensures team members receive any required training or attends mandatory meetings.
- Monitors and develops team member performance to include, but not limited to, providing supervision, scheduling, conducting counseling and evaluations and delivering recognition and reward.
- Monitors and assesses service and satisfaction trends, evaluates and addresses issues and makes improvements accordingly.
- Develops, implements and manages the maintenance program. Negotiates maintenance contracts for the property, including structure, grounds and all equipment. Ensures all local, state, and national codes and regulations are met to ensure safety, convenience, and satisfaction of guests and team members and to protect the assets and maintain property in excellent condition. Develops and maintains a preventative maintenance program for guest rooms and equipment.
- Maintain safe environment throughout hotel/resort and/or property for all team members and guests. Acts as the safety coordinator and ensures all emergency equipment and systems are inspected, tested and certified per standards. Provides team members with information about safe use of systems and structures.
- Develops, implements and directs all emergency programs. Ensures inspections are made and equipment is maintained. Conducts drills and ensures compliance with all codes and regulations. Provides team member training and maintains safety records.
- Maintains property's energy conservation program.
- Reviews guest comments related to maintenance and facilities and ensures problems are corrected in a timely manner. Professionally responds to guest requests promptly to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and quality. Notifies Management and/or Security of all unusual events, circumstances, missing items, or alleged theft.
- Follows all safety policies and procedures. Responds to reports of potential safety issues and proactively takes immediate action to resolve when noted. OSHA laws require the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties that have the potential of risk to your health or safety. Team members will be trained in the proper use and care of assigned PPE if applicable. The hotel/resort and/or property provides the required PPE. Team member has responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE or equipment that does not fit properly to their Manager. Maintains strict compliance with hotel/resort and/or property's Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) program and familiarizes self with current MSDS.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Provides support for special Corporate projects on remodeling projects or capital expenditures.
- Walks through property to visually assess the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of the physical structure of the hotel/resort and/or property, all mechanical, electrical, HVAC systems and property equipment.
- Meets with property General Manager and department heads regularly to determine specific and general maintenance needs. Ensures all needs are addressed on timely basis to ensure safe and efficient use of equipment and energy and mitigate disruption to service and ensure guest satisfaction.
- Ensures adequate inventory of parts, supplies, tools and materials are available to minimize unneeded down time.
- Responds to emergency crisis and ensures operational support areas are covered to provide excellent customer service.
- Notifies management of major system/building problems or failures and unanticipated maintenance needs.
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
- Vocational schooling, military training, certification and/or experience in building related trades required in one or more of the following areas: HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and carpentry. Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Facility Management desired.
- Five or more years related progressively responsible hotel or building maintenance/facilities management experience with one year as Assistant Director of Engineering in a similar setting.
- Requires ability to manage the department by setting direction, establishing priorities, and allocating resources effectively.
- Requires knowledge and ability to complete reports, financial forecasts and budgets.
- Must have extensive working knowledge of building systems including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, refrigeration, roofs, building finishes, mechanical operations, energy management and Preventative Maintenance Programs.
- Completes required training as scheduled.
- Must have excellent customer service/communication skills to work with guests of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds for the purpose of resolving problems/complaints and providing a high level of guest satisfaction.
- Able to use mathematics to solve problems, prepare budgets, conduct analyses and prepare reports.
- Requires strong computer skills including Word, Excel and Energy Management systems.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Requires attention to detail. Must be able to solve problems and remain calm and alert if dealing with difficult guest, during busy activity periods or in an emergency situation.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English to understand instructions, safety rules, and communicate with guests. Must be able to read and understand blueprints, wiring schematics and technical manuals. Bilingual ability to communicate in Spanish preferred.
- Able to work independently with minimal guidance and as part of a team.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, team members may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel/resort and/or property. Work schedules will include working on holidays, weekends and alternate shifts.
- Must maintain a clean and appearance and professional demeanor.
The Meritage Resort and Spa is an e-verify and equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.