The Cook I is responsible for the preparation and execution of all meal items as assigned by the Kitchen Managers/Supervisors. Organize all supplies and ingredients necessary for preparation in a timely and efficient manner. Set up stations with predetermined mise en place required to service all outlets. Maintains clear communication in coordinating assignments to co-workers and supervisors. Practice sanitation and safety daily to ensure total customer satisfaction. Clear understanding of Kitchen functions and knife safety skills a must. Requires regular supervision. (This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.)
Benefits: Some of the great benefits of being part of the Citizen Hotel Team include: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage, Pension Trust Fund, Associate Hotel Discount Rate program, and Career Development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Prepare food of consistent quality following recipe cards and production and portion standards, per check from servers.
Start food items that are prepared ahead of time, making sure not to over prepare estimated needs.
Date all food containers and rotate as per Citizen Standards, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures.
Check pars for shift use, determine necessary preparation, freezer pull and line set up. Note any out-of stock items or possible shortages. Assist in keeping line stocked.
Return all food items not used on next shift to designated storage areas, being sure to cover/date all perishables.
Assist in setting up plans and actions to correct any food cost problems, control food waste, loss and usage per standards.
Operate, maintain and properly clean deep fryer, broiler, stove, steamer, food processor, mixer, slicer, oven steam table, tilt kettle, waffle iron and flat top grill.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Entry level training and development of skill set in food production to include: sautéing, grilling, roasting, soups, sauces, and chilled food production.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English and have good communication skills
- Must have some previous culinary/kitchen experience
- High school or equivalent education required
- Must have a working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards
- Must have open flexibility for scheduling, including days, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 4 hours at a time
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
-Physical onsite attendance is required of the position.