Cook - Full Time and Part Time
Four Points by Sheraton Newark
Location: US - DE - Newark
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
Purpose for the Position: Prepare and cook foods in accordance with standards of quality, quantity control, taste and presentation as established by the Executive Chef.
- Provides professional and courteous service at all times.
- Cooks and otherwise prepares foods according to recipes.
- Checks all food for taste, temperature and eye appeal.
- Cuts, trims, bones and carves meats and poultry for cooking.
- Prepares and submits requisitions to the Chef for food items.
- Receives and checks food inventory and supplies for quality and quantity.
- Rotates and places all food in clean containers, labeled and dated.
- Prevents the spoiling and contamination of foods by practicing proper sanitation and complying with hotel policy and health regulations.
- Accommodates guest requests for special food items as available.
- Takes a proactive role in keeping all culinary areas in a clean and sanitary manner and kept within the cleanliness guidelines set forth by the local health authority and management team.
- Consults with Executive Chef and/or Banquet Manager regarding week's forecast, special functions, and volume of expected concession activity.
- Works with stewards to ensure that assigned station is kept clean, properly stocked, and properly maintained.
- Completes projects as determined by the Executive Chef.
- Acts as carver, garde mangier as required
- Attends monthly department meetings.
To do this kind of work, you must be able to:
- Skillfully use hand tools or machines needed for your work.
- Read directions for the items to be made.
- Measure, cut or otherwise work on materials or objects with great precision.
- Use arithmetic or shop geometry to figure amounts of material needed, dimensions to be followed and cost of materials.
- Picture what the finished product will look like.
- Accept responsibility for the accuracy of the work as it is turned out.
Physical Demands: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, reaching, handling, feeling, seeing.
Environmental Conditions: Inside: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. A job is considered "inside" if the worker spends approximately 75% or more of the time inside.
Extremes of Heat Plus Temperature Changes: Extremes of Heat: Temperature sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort unless the worker is provided with exceptional protection. Temperature Changes: Variations in temperature which are sufficiently marked and abrupt to cause noticeable bodily reactions.
Math Skills: Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: Add, subtract and divide all units of measure.
Language Skills: Must have developed language skills to the point to be able to: Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc. Look up unfamiliar words in dictionary for meaning, spelling and pronunciation.
Relationships to Data, People and Things:
Data: Computing: Performing arithmetic operations and reporting on and/or carrying out a prescribed action in relation to them.
People: Serving: Attending to the needs, requests or the expressed or implicit wishes of people. Immediate response is involved.
Things: Precision Working: Using body members and/or tools or work aids to work, move, guide or place objects or materials in situations where ultimate responsibility for the attainment of standard occurs and selection of appropriate tools, objects or materials and the adjustment of the tool to the task require exercise of considerable judgment.
Specific Vocational Preparation: Specific vocational training includes an occupationally significant combination of: vocational education, apprentice training, in-plant training, on-the-job training, or essential experience in less responsible jobs which lead to the higher job or serving in other jobs. Over 30 days up to and including 3 months.