POSITION SUMMARY The Company operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so operational demands require variations in shift days, starting and ending times, and hours worked in a week.
The Controller directs all aspects of hotel accounting including guest service, accounting/budgeting, asset protection, internal control and human resources. The Controller directs all financial aspects of operations in alignment with the direction of the General Manager, Company, operating procedures, internal controls, brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Responsible for quality service, meeting/exceeding financial goals, short and long term planning and day-to-day operations. Recommends the Accounting budget, business plans, capital expenditures and manages within approved plans and objectives.
This is a select service accounting environment with some decentralized functions. Hands on knowledge and abilities of daily accounting practices are required in this role.
The hotel operates on FOSSE PMS. Knowledge of FOSSE would be helpful, but not required
This position directly manages assigned staff and directly manages all subordinates. Articulates Company goals to the staff. Demonstrates commitment to these goals through work ethic, integrity and respect for the Company and associates. Unites associates in a common commitment to achieve and exceed these goals. Works closely with management throughout the hotel and the Company. Impresses guests with quality and timely service in a pleasant and friendly manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSReasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Guest Satisfaction – Direct and ensure Accounting standards and procedures are followed. Direct Accounting staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage while managing the department budget. Ensure timely response to guest needs. Resolve guest complaints as appropriate to maintain guest satisfaction. Regularly review service scores to identify areas needing improvement and implement appropriate changes. Ensure the Accounting staff regularly adheres to all guest service basics such as uniforms, name tags and proper guest greeting. Be knowledgeable on hotel facilities, services and the city to assist guests as appropriate.
- Human Resources –In conjunction with the Human Resources department, direct recruiting, hiring, training, development and retention of a motivated and efficient Accounting staff. Clearly communicate to associates the standards of performance and their role in contributing to individual and team success. Coach, counsel, resolve conflicts, discipline and terminate as appropriate through fair treatment and in compliance with Company policies and procedures. Conduct associate performance and salary reviews in a timely manner and in accordance with Company guidelines. Ensure all policies and procedures are followed. Insist on a work environment that is free from harassment. Promote the hotel as an employer of choice in the community.
- Profitability –Develop, recommend, implement and manage the Accounting annual budget, business plan and objectives to meet/exceed expectations. If necessary, develop action steps to correct any expense problems. Ensure all hotel accounting transactions and reporting are accomplished in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures. Ensure the hotel is in compliance with internal controls. Continuously monitor accounting and financial data for accuracy. Ensure the General Manager and Regional Director of Finance are kept fully apprised of any implications thatmay affect the financial performance of the hotel. Ensure timely and correct credit and billing procedures are in place. Review vendors and products to ensure procurement of top quality products at minimum prices. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager.
- Life Safety/Risk Management –Assist the General Manager with hotel life safety. Direct and promote an accident prevention program to minimize liabilities and related expenses. Ensure appropriate sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures are in place, followed and comply with policies, standards and regulations. Ensure the staff is proficient in sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures. Notify the General Manager of any potential liability and propose proper course of action to prevent the hotel from incurring any such liability. Make recommendations to the General Manager on additional safeguards as appropriate. Practice safe work habits.
- Asset Management -Ensure all hotels associates follow the Company’s accounting policies and practices when performing financial transactions. Ensure all money is timely and properly handled, tracked and safely secured. Work with management to ensure associates are properly trained in cash handling procedures and credit card transactions. Ensure adequate controls are installed and maintained for the protection of the hotel’s financial assets against loss or misappropriation. Walk the operations daily to identify issues and to speak with and listen to associates. Ensure preventative maintenance programs are in place to protect assets and maintenance related problems are reported to Engineering through proper channels. Inspect and evaluate the condition of the accounting space, equipment and inventories. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager. Work collaboratively with the Corporate Office to ensure Company assets are accurately tracked. Ensure associates are properly trained in the use and maintenance of Company assets.
- Leadership – Direct all facets of Accounting. Keep abreast of brand standards and the competition's products and strengths to continually improve revenues and profit margins while maintaining quality. Use business/management knowledge, applications in the industry, and experiences to provide leadership, both internally and externally, to assist the General Manager in positioning the hotel as a market leader. Be a coach with a positive attitude on a daily basis. Implement, manage and comply with Company policies, practices and programs. Ensure compliance with brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Ensure optimal levels of quality service and hospitality are provided to guests. Regular and timely attendance with high standards of personal behavior, appearance and grooming including wearing the proper nametag when working.
- Communication – Ensure all communication containing Company, hotel, brand and guest information is consistent with privacy policies, practices and regulations. Maintain a consistent professional and positive attitude when communicating with guests and associates. Maintain effective two-way communications that crosses departmental lines. Approach all encounters and actions with guests and associates in a friendly, service oriented manner. Conduct regularly scheduled meetings with the Accounting staff to provide organizational information and educate associates on changes and activities. Communicate Accounting activities and plans with peers and superiors to obtain appropriate consultation, guidance and approval.
- Administration – Direct the compilation and analyze various corporate reports and property reports to provide management with accurate information and to comply with corporate policies and procedures as well as government laws and regulations. Complete all required and requested reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested. As requested,